iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit cold weather starting

Started by madmari, December 10, 2010, 04:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

I have a Detroit 3-53 that has been starting real good until this morning, at -5 degrees all I get is a "thunk" from the starter, assuming the starter is engaging the flywheel. Is it too cold to turn over the motor? What to do?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

240b

weak batteries?  I've got heater hoses off of my truck to heat the skidder and loader.  This really saves the batteries. I have a little toyota 4cyl which heats the skidder up 160 in about 15 mins.  but -5 I stay home.

madmari

Staying home is out- can't afford any more delays after the wet fall. Where do you hook in at the skidder?
How about external heat from underneath, like a kerosun heater?

240b

On my old 353 i think I pushed the hot into the top of the water pump ( two plugs on top 3/4" pipe thread) and the cold came out the back of the head. Or on the thermostat housing there is a plug too.  push the hot into the lower part of the block.   I had a '03 ford diesel which didn't like to do this. the computer was confused by the cold coolant and would rev up the truck and run poorly   make sure you know which hose is pushing the hot out of the truck.  I have it so i turn off the heat in the cab of the truck and the skidder is just getting the hot and not the cab heater.   you need alot of hose  and hydraulic couplers. 

Mark K

I just did what 240B recommended about three weeks ago. Best money ever spent. I use my Dodge Cummin's with no trouble. I have a 353 in my TJ 225. Works alot better and quicker than Kerosene heaters. How are your batterys? I've started mine at -15 F. Should of stayed home!
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

madmari

I saw this set-up on a loader, but was hesitant to try it because I'd heard the cold water shock to the hot host motor could be damaged. Sounds like you guys are ok with it.
I have a TJ 230D- where did you hook in on the motor with the hot and cold lines?

treefarmer87

it might be what 240b said-week batteries, i have had that problem before :( heres a tip: on any piece of equipment- when you are done for the day take the "hot" cable off the terminal. your machine will starat the same as it was running when you took it off, plus it will save shorting out your altenator, solenoid,etc  and if you have a short you might come back to a burnt up machine :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Quote from: 240b on December 10, 2010, 05:00:54 PM
weak batteries?  I've got heater hoses off of my truck to heat the skidder and loader.  This really saves the batteries. I have a little toyota 4cyl which heats the skidder up 160 in about 15 mins.  but -5 I stay home.

This is the method I use.. Works like a charm.. Otherwise you can get a "Hot Box".. Thats what my brothers company had installed on all their skidders and dozers. Its just a small Gas fired heater that uses 12 volts. It heats and circulates the antifreeze.. handy if you leave your equipment where you cant always drive too

Mark K

Bobus2003- where do you find one of them heaters? I've heard of them but have had no luck finding any. Alot of my jobs are a ways off the beaten path and sometimes have to hike to get skidder in order to get my truck in. How much power do they draw?
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

JDeere

Mark K,  The "Hotbox" is made by Stewart-Warner and is a very common item here in the Northeast. All set up with the battery leads, hoses, couplers and gas tank, they run around $2,000.00 new. Used ones can be had for around $850.00. The problem with getting one right now is with the production at the factory. Stewart-Warner has had a problem getting parts from one or more of their suppliers for months. The word I got today is that they hope to be back in production by the beginning of January. If you need one I know a dealer who has 1 in stock but is asking $2,300.00 for it.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

240b

I got a hot box 7 years ago it worked well for one season. and than became the biggest pain- hard to get parts for and a royal pain to fix. good idea, poorly made. it is in the scrap pile out back now needs another rebuild and I just don't see spending the time with it again. I think it was like 1200.00 than. The truck hoses are way simpler and have worked without fail for the last 16 years for me.
the guy who used to chip for me had espar heaters on the chippers.  the problem is these heaters get thrashed on a skidder. A loader or chipper doesn't hopefully see that kind of abuse. 

madmari

thanks for the help. The more I think on this, I believe it is weak batteries but have had no problem starting w/o ether down to 20 degrees. Batteries spun the Detroit in good shape yesterday in the single digits. My helper shut off the machine yesterday, may not have fully closed the power disconnect.
Got me thinking now how to build a gas fired circulator using copper tube heat exchanger and a little gas pump:)

240b

I saw a rig at the granite quarry which was a tube in a tube (if that makes sense) made from well casing and used  a big weed burner type torch to fire it. It thermo syphoned  (sp?) looked scary but worked I think it heated up a 988 cat loader.

Bobus2003

you can see one of the HotBoxes here.. Behind the Wheel, they built guards around this one.. The other 648's and the 640D have them mounted hehind the cab in the cubby hole behind the winch

treefarmer87

thats a nice looking bunch of skidders. i like the way the E and G series look. those hotboxes sound real handy
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Reddog

MaineLogger

Bad things happen to aluminum heads and blocks when using"spit swappers".You can buy a large propane torch and warm up the radiator.The back of the head and the water pump are two good places to hook into with heater hoses and quick connects.You can build your own heater with the propane torch, heater hoses,quick connects and make a copper coil out of some copper pipe.Just hold the torch on the pipe and the anti-freeze will circulate itself.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

JDeere

I have an engine heater that cost about $4.00. To start one of my older tractors, if it is not super cold I take a piece of flexible aluminum dryer vent hose and run it from my pickup exhaust pipe into the engine compartment of the tractor. This provides enough heat to often get it going. I keep it in my toolbox most of the winter.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

barbender

I like that one JDeere, I might have to try that. Like others have mentioned, I worry about the cold shock from circulating -10° coolant into my operating temp pickup engine. I like the idea of a propane fired circulator too, as far as putting a torch right by the engine, I've heard of machines burned down like that before. Shouldn't have to worry about that with a 353 though, cause thet don't leak any oil :)
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

We have a Katz in-line heater / circulator that fits into the radiator hose.  It works off of 120 volt, which is fine for us since we're normally close to power, and it don't take but 15 minutes or so to get the ole' girl warm (77ish 230D).  I know that the 120volt won't work in the middle of the woods but maybe they have a 12volt option???  We also have a set of hose's with hydrolic couplers made up if we are a little off the beaten path, just make sure the truck and the skidder use the same type / color coolant...

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Bobus2003

Quote from: MaineLogger on December 11, 2010, 05:08:50 AM
Bad things happen to aluminum heads and blocks when using"spit swappers".You can buy a large propane torch and warm up the radiator.The back of the head and the water pump are two good places to hook into with heater hoses and quick connects.You can build your own heater with the propane torch, heater hoses,quick connects and make a copper coil out of some copper pipe.Just hold the torch on the pipe and the anti-freeze will circulate itself.

Wouldn't worry about it unless you drive a Chevy/GMC Duramax.

Quote from: barbender on December 11, 2010, 10:38:55 AM
I like that one JDeere, I might have to try that. Like others have mentioned, I worry about the cold shock from circulating -10° coolant into my operating temp pickup engine. I like the idea of a propane fired circulator too, as far as putting a torch right by the engine, I've heard of machines burned down like that before. Shouldn't have to worry about that with a 353 though, cause thet don't leak any oil :)

Your not transfering very much antifreeze at a time, the amount that comes into the engine starts to warm very fast.. Yeah after a few minutes enough is transfered to make my Ford, go into cold warm up, but it does that on its own if it idles for a few minutes

northwoods1

I don't think it could be much more shock on an engine than the thermostat normally opening and closing ans sending cold fluid back in to the engine. I know with my dodge cummins I can start it, let it sit and idle, and take off down the road , I forget exactly but my thermostat must be about 190 degrees and you have to be pretty far down the road before it opens and then it does it all at once and brings the temp all the way back down that can't be anymore of a shock than connecting to a machine.
I went an looked at an mid 80's iron mule once that I was thinking of buying the guy had it in perfect shape. He made a heater with some black iron pipe and fittings just plumbed it in to the heater hose going to the cab for the cab heater. He put in a section of black iron pipe in an enclosed box in the cab that had a pilot light on it, an actual flame. He had a 100# propane cylinder sitting next to the skidder on the job site to run that pilot light. Machine always stayed warm and cab was even warm when he got to work. The idea of a flame makes me paranoid but it worked flawlessly. I have the pickup to machine hose arrangement it is a real good way to go. I heat the machine up every time below freezing. I never ever use ether period. Batteries last a long time because the machine never has a cold start :) :) :)

barbender

You're right about the cummins thermostat, northwoods- They definately dump open all at once.I've heard that putting a cummins t-stat in them takes care of that cycling issue. But, like you say, that is probably more of a shock than using quick couplers.
Too many irons in the fire

ga jones

You guys get a little crazy with this.2000.00 heaters ? You could rebuild a 353 for 500. I think I'll stick with my good old reliable (sweet air!) ether...... :D :D
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

beenthere

If concerned about the shock of the cold water, maybe could ease into letting cold water through using a valve in the connect line. Open slightly for a short while and then let it open all the way.

Gary_C had one of the engine heaters that was on a timer. When he got to the job site, the engine was warm and ready to go.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!