iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back To School 56 Years Ago !

Started by Autocar, August 22, 2012, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I remember my first day of school I got off the bus and my dog Trixy met me at the end of the lane and I sat down there and told him [ You don't have to worry about it tomarrow I ain't gone back ! ] Then when I got to the eight grade I would bring my 22 single shot on the bus and at night the bus driver would stop at the river bridge and I would hunt fox squirrels the rest of the way home. Then the first year of high school a friend had a 32 cal. revolver that needed a pair of grips and we were standing in the hall way looking it over kids going all directions and he was asking me if I would make him a set of grips for it.Boy has things changed  :D !
Bill

clww

Great memories! We used to carry our rifles/shotguns in the rack in the rear window of our pick-up trucks if we drove to school. Now, I can't even make a U-Turn in a school parking lot if I have a gun in my truck (99% of the time). Times have changed.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Bandmill Bandit

i had a 3 rack in the window and then another one behind the seat of my 74 F100 4x4 and a built in ammo box across the floor behind the seat. Carried a 22 pump rifle. 22-250 lever action, Mosberg 12 gauge on the window rack and then 308 high power(read sniper) rifle, a 30 0 6 Lee Enfield and 30 30. no particular reason really. probably more just because we could and all the guys did that not just me.

we had a gun show every spring at the school. We had to demonstrate proper everything right down to loading shells. I can tell you there was more fire power in the school gym than the cops had over that the shop and they were all participants in the show and instructors in the classes. Attendance was REQUIRED for all and high school kids and we had to attend one of the safety classes every year.

The Principle planned and supervised the whole thing and always had the  military recruiting booth with rank and file military personal that helped with the event. Principle was a 4 Star general WWII and these events were a great community event and everybody had a real fun day. He retired in 1980 and that was the last year of the gun show.

That would never happen in todays world

The only shots that got fired were over at the shooting range in the traget competition and the clay pigeon shoot out as we called it.

fun times and the only injury was a friend of mine put a .22 short bullet in his toe by accident.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Yup, guns were a regular item at our school.  If we were spending a night or weekend with a friend, you had to bring your shotgun or .22 on the schoolbus so that you could go squirrel hunting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Lynn, they have buses waaay back then? :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

LAZERDAN

I was on the trap team , always brought the shot gun in a case, on the bus, and in the school, not even a sideways look back then.                   Lazerdan

blackfoot griz

A Remmington 870 12 gauge and a Browning lever action .22 were always in the gun rack in my 71 Chevy pickup. It was never an issue...

metalspinner

Last night a friend was over working in the woodshop.  He is a second grade teacher.  He caught one of his students yesterday with a pocket knife and confiscated it.  Kid was sent to the pricipal's office and parents were called in. ::)  Earlier unrelated matters has a restraining order out on this boy's father. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!