iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger throat bar

Started by moodnacreek, September 12, 2017, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Can anyone describe a 'throat bar' as used in a board edger ?                            It would be to reduce chatter on deep cuts.  [attn. L.L.] Thanks, Doug

4x4American

Is that what you pointed to on my edger and asked whats that fer?
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Is that where I thought I saw one?  I was  once told it was an update on my chase edger but I've never found one, not sure exactly what I'm looking for.   Been a very busy summer here, how about you ?

4x4American

Yea I'm pretty sure that's it, I know you mentioned it when you were looking into her.  Same here, been swamped..full steam ahead it's been. 
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Going north next week, mite stop and look again.     Doug

JB Griffin

Alright Doug pics are in order for those of us who are less edger savvy.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

4x4American

Quote from: JB Griffin on September 19, 2017, 10:00:41 PM
Alright Doug pics are in order for those of us who are less edger savvy.

Which Doug are you talking about?  lol

I don't have a picture offhand but I'll try and get one tomorrow if I can remember
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

NVM I found a picture when I had the mandrel out.  It's not the one thing there it's the other thing.  It sits kinda sorta next to the stationary blade.  On this edger, sharp blades or not, alot of the time when the boards are leaving the cut the board jerks to the left and the saw blades chatter.  You can notice it in the board.  Not sure if that "throat bar" was helping that until it got to the end or what.  But it does that alot.  Could be from feeding too slow but I have it feeding at full speed all the time always if you don't get the saws stuck every so often how do you know you're going fast enough lol

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

So there's another picture of it...

I'm tellin ya we break something every day.  Big or small, it don't matter.  Today we broke another hold down roller bolt on the baker resaw (poor design, breaks all the time.  Bolt are meant for clamping not side loading)

and popped the chain off on the edger

Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Quote from: 4x4American on September 20, 2017, 09:20:26 PM

I'm tellin ya we break something every day.  Big or small, it don't matter.  Today we broke another hold down roller bolt on the baker resaw (poor design, breaks all the time.  Bolt are meant for clamping not side loading)

and popped the chain off on the edger

Whats that thing supposed to do?
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

My best guess is that it prevents the flitch from going down under when the tip and the tail first pass through before they are spanning both tables.
Boy, back in my day..

JB Griffin

Baker don't have um. ??? Idk

Thank You Sponsors!