iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Engine Upgrade Wisconson 35hpo to Kohler 38 EFI

Started by FeltzE, June 09, 2020, 06:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FeltzE

Has anyone done an engine upgrade on their WM? I have a couple wire questions otherwise the install looks pretty straight forward.  

My assumptions:

ECU power gets connected to the old "coil wire"? 
Green "Oil pressure switch ground" goes to ground
Blue starter goes to Starter.  No brainer there. 
Old yellow wire that went to alternator, will again run to new alternator

Interesting to note they sent me a new belt pulley the same size as the original, but a one piece casting with the break hub on it... wondering if I have a need to change that?

Well, I'll gry to get WM on the phone tomorrow.  They did mention that if you have ever changed a car engine you can do this.. yup.. but rarely do you pull a ford motor, and replace it with a chevy, I could use a single wire diagram on this and the rest of the install is really self explanatory.

Don't misunderstand me, WM has ALWAYS been excellent with their support of me and may old '96 LT 40 Super

Eric

Southside

Having dealt with the misfortune of having an ECU wire that was not factory connected one time you want to make sure you have the correct power source going into the ECU.  I don't think the coil wire is the correct one, it is most likely a clean source of 12V from the battery, but WM can clarify that.  Also check to see if your ECU has a backup power source required as well, some do.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

Does the Wisconsin have battery ignition or a mag? If battery you will need to change the ignition switch and some wiring, you do NOT want to feed 12 volts to the Kohler.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

FeltzE

It's a WM kit engine set to use on my LT 40 so it's set for a battery and ignition. 

FeltzE

Just a follow up.

WM customer support came through with a call back and we walked back through the wires.  It seems the kit is usefull on several yeargroup  mills... which caused me a little confusion.  

A wire diagram would have been nice. 

It's up and running overall a pretty straight forward mod.  and well done to the WM folks on the engineering and setup. things went well. 

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!