iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello

Started by Jay B, May 09, 2021, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay B

Hello all. I ordered my first mill at the end of last year and many of the searches I have done have landed me on various threads from this site.

I am waiting for the day I get the call that my mill is ready but really have no idea when to expect it. When I ordered I was told March\April delivery.

I was hoping someone here ordered around the same time or just before I did and have heard from the manufacturer. I don't want to keep calling and bothering them about it as they have been very nice and one of their suppliers is the hold up(engine).

We have a small farm and have already had the larger tracts of timber harvested over the years but still have enough that we don't want to waste , probably between 15-20 acres, just not enough for a logging crew to move in for. I have a bunch of projects that I need lumber for and so we decided to buy our own mill.

This will be my first mill but my Dad has worked on or owned several circle mills. My Grandpa ran a 00 Frick in the woods until the early 70's when he bought a stationary mill. I grew up around it but have never worked in the woods but I cant wait to enjoy this little mill if it ever gets here. We have a pretty good log pile of pine and various hardwoods and a pile of hardwood for a friend\customer. Most of the hardwood is red and white oak, some of it is Hickory and gum.

Hope to ask for some of the experience shared here without being a bother. Thanks in advance!

Jay B

Tom the Sawyer

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Jay B

I forgot to put what I ordered..

LT15 Woodmizer, opted for 25hp and powerfeed. I ordered a resaw instead of a trailer.

Jay B

Stephen1

Welcome to FF! All searchs lead here 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Brad_bb

Only use the 4° double hard bands with hardwood.  Softwood might be another story if you get into sawing pine. I've been sawing hardwoods for 7 years with my LT15 with 19hp gas Kohler.  Higher degree bands require more HP/torque.  The 4 degree bands are like running in 1st gear versus say trying to run in 2nd  or 3rd gear with a 7 degree.  If you don't have enough power, the band speed will slow down and the cut will wander(waves).
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jay B

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 09, 2021, 02:23:06 PM
Only use the 4° double hard bands with hardwood.  Softwood might be another story if you get into sawing pine. I've been sawing hardwoods for 7 years with my LT15 with 19hp gas Kohler.  Higher degree bands require more HP/torque.  The 4 degree bands are like running in 1st gear versus say trying to run in 2nd  or 3rd gear with a 7 degree.  If you don't have enough power, the band speed will slow down and the cut will wander(waves).
Thanks for the heads up! I ordered a box of .045 x 1.25 9° when I ordered the mill. I also ordered a few 747 just to see how they compare. I did order the 25hp but still not sure if that is going to be enough for the 747. I will look into the 4°. We have both hardwood and pine to saw. I was figuring on trying several different blades as part of the learning curve.

Jay B

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jay B!

For less headaches and confusion, find one profile blade that works well for you, and stick with it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trimguy

Welcome and congratulations. I hope it comes soon.

Jay B

Quote from: Chuck White on May 09, 2021, 03:09:33 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jay B!

For less headaches and confusion, find one profile blade that works well for you, and stick with it!
Quote from: trimguy on May 09, 2021, 03:18:53 PM
Welcome and congratulations. I hope it comes soon.

Thanks for the welcome!
Not too far from Augusta @trimguy 

caveman

Welcome.  The 4° blades will likely serve you well.  The resaw will be much more useful than a trailer if you do not plan to move your mill often.  I would love to have a resaw.  We had a 25 HP on our LT-28 and it never gave us any trouble.
Caveman

Jay B

Quote from: caveman on May 09, 2021, 03:54:01 PM
Welcome.  The 4° blades will likely serve you well.  The resaw will be much more useful than a trailer if you do not plan to move your mill often.  I would love to have a resaw.  We had a 25 HP on our LT-28 and it never gave us any trouble.
Thanks for the welcome! I will probably go ahead and order some of those blades, that will give me three to compare. 
I wanted the resaw to make some lap siding for several projects around the farm, and a friend who is a carpenter almost has me talked into making some shingles out of the cedar logs I have. He showed me a project where he put cedar shingles on a interior wall and it turned out pretty nice. I have so much to learn though I don't know how long it will be after I get the mill here before I play with the resaw. I am saving up now to get the lathe too, I want to make fence posts with it.
Glad to hear you got good service from the 25hp engine. Sadly for me the engine is what is holding my order up, at least it should be good to me when it finally gets here.
Jay B

trimguy

Cool. I just met my first forum members in person last week. I look forward to meeting many more. Things a little up in the air and will be for a few days because I just got back in town. But we need to get together at some point. I don't know much, but I will share anything I've learned.

RichTired

Welcome to the forum Jay B. And you will love your new Woodmizer mill.  8)
You will find lots of knowledge from a great group of guys and gals here on the forum.  And we love to help other people spend their money... :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Jay B

Quote from: RichTired on May 09, 2021, 08:22:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Jay B. And you will love your new Woodmizer mill.  8)
You will find lots of knowledge from a great group of guys and gals here on the forum.  And we love to help other people spend their money... :D
Good to hear... myself, Dad, my old woman and my Brother-in-law are all ready for the mill to get here..we have so many projects!
Thanks for the welcome!
Jay B

Thank You Sponsors!