iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member Intro

Started by ABC, May 04, 2011, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

Hi everybody... new member just saying hello. I'm a guy just getting into some selective harvest on ~ 20 acres of mixed spuce-fir-birch-cottonwood in Prince George, British Columbia... mostly for fun and for a few timber frame projects I need around the house. I've been getting some small-scale harvest gear together (see below) and I'm just now thinking about the layout for my milling area. Any thoughts on layout, work flow, storage, etc.? I'm sure there's plenty of info in the forums but maybe you guys could suggest a few key things to help get me set up.

Looking  forward to learning from this community and eventually contributing my own experiences as I muddle through...haha.

ABC

Some assorted bits and pieces I've put together:

Husqvarna 288 XP w 24" bars
Stihl 031 with 20" bars
Old 56cc Craftsman with 18" bar

48 hp Cockshutt loader for a skidder
Alaskan III chainsaw mill
Homemade 2X4 mill (as per Will Maloff book)

3 tonne tirfor and assorted winches
Assorted sandviks, peaveys, etc.
ABC: 48 hp 1350 Cockshutt, Alaskan III, Husqvarna 288XP, 3120XP, Stihl 031. Sawing SPF, birch, aspen, cottonwood.

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ABC.   I started with a chain saw mill & Malloff's book, too. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum ABC.

You'll learn a lot here!  Good place!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ABC

Yeah... Maloff's book sets you up for serviceable timbers with very little financial investement.
ABC: 48 hp 1350 Cockshutt, Alaskan III, Husqvarna 288XP, 3120XP, Stihl 031. Sawing SPF, birch, aspen, cottonwood.

terrifictimbersllc

In case you didn't know, that book itself is now a sizable investment. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

welcome abc. i would love to see a pic of that cockshut.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

redbeard

Welcome abc nice area you live in. Big trees good luck on your milling ventures
would like to hear more about the uses of your birch wood.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!