iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

biodegradable oils

Started by OneWithWood, September 27, 2005, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I am tired of trying to clean up hydraulic oil spills from the crawler, log grapple, tractor and other assorted peices of equipment >:(
Now that I have istalled new oil lines on the crawler and will be replacing the return line on the grapple loader the opportune time has come to make a change.  I have ordered a 30 gal drum of biodegradable hydraulic oil through the local farm co-op.  At $286.43/drum the cost is comparable to the John Deere Hygard it will be replacing.
Does anyone have any experience with biodegradable oils?  The blurbs from all the manufacturers clain the performance is the same.
I also have switched over to a biodegradable bar oil for the chain saws.  The Stihl brand is $8.50/qt. :o  I can't afford to use it all the time so I am looking for an alternative.  I have read claims that any vegetable oil will suffice.  What do you all think?
I am posting the bar oil q on the chainsaw board also.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

johncinquo

I use veggie oil in my saws, about 2 years now. B&C only.   No problems unless its really cold out, and if its that cold I should go back inside anyway.  I am only a weekend saw-warrior though. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Frickman

Wow, biodegradable hydraulic oil has really come down in price. I looked into it about ten years ago and the price I was quoted was about four times the going rate for mineral-based oil. I might have to look into it again.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Frank_Pender

The thing I have found the neutralized the spill is Dawn dish soap.   ;D
Frank Pender

OneWithWood

The prices for the bio hydraulic fluid ranged from $794 / 55gal drum plus shipping ($14.44/gal + SH) from the companies specializing in 'green' fluids to $641 / 55gal drum pu at John Deere dealer ($11.65 gal) to $286.43 / 30gal ($9.55/gal) pu at the local farm co-op.  I was happy to find it available through the co-op.
One With Wood

Tom

There have been a lot of "total loss" lubrication systems developed and I would think that there would be some articles on the WWW about lubrication oils for them.   They are used in Airplane engines, 2 stroke engines, Jets as well as chain oilers.  Strange, I couldn't find a one.

It was brought up in the thread where Deadheader and I visited Woodbeard that the Castor bean was the initial source of Castrol.  I wonder if it is still being used in that product.

Vegetable oils have one thing going against them, they develop a hard waxy substance which plugs lines and pumps.  I've experienced it when vegetable oils get old but, unless heat causes it, I don't see where a total loss system  would keep it long enough for this to happen.  It still might be a consideration because of the residues of oil left in the delivery tanks and tubing.

This is just off of the top of my head and has no scientific research or data to back it up.

Jeff

Hardening of the Hydraulic arteries so to speak?  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Mmm. . . so I can look forward to higher pressure and an occasional angioplast type adventure. 
Sounds familiar  ::)

It is amazing how close up and personal the shared experiences with machine can get in this line of work.  :D

Perhaps I will be changing my moniker to OneWithWoodandMachine or mebbee the Bionic Sawyer  ;)
One With Wood

Mike_Barcaskey

I have been using straight veg oil in my small saws for about 6 months (ms200, ms191, 026)
I have tried to track chain and bar wear vs $ spent vs customers who LOVE the idea I am using a bio-degradable oil.

overall I am happy with it, a good substitute for the Stihl bio, which is veg oil (rapeseed) with tack and color added

there is an arguement to be made for adding tack to the veg oil, but I haven't done it

the biggest drawback is that you will use 2x as much oil, have to refill the veg oil 1/2 thru the tank of gas, I also think the outside of the saw tends to get dirtier, is it because the veg oil vaporized more, adheres to the saw casing and traps dirt?

one of the good things is I smell like a french fry! and it aint no thang to spill some on my pants or in the truck
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dan_Shade

are the organic compounds in vegitable oil really "good" for the envirnment? or just "better"

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!