iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Happened to the Civilian Conservation Corps "CCC" of Years ago?

Started by Chris Burchfield, November 08, 2010, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Burchfield

My father's oldest brother worked with them one summer way back when.  I did a search on the forum as I didn't want to beat a dead horse.  There are four threads relating to the CCC but, not asking the same question.  With all the people still out of work, the infrastructure across this nation needing some direct attention, I don't know if the three branches of government got the message with the change of colors in the house and several in the senate.  California has had it's own version of the CCC in place since 1976.  They removed a sunshine clause from state law funding to make it a permanent department,because of the good accomplished .  Their web site has some good information and a really good history of accomplishments.  Everything from helping with wild fires to floods, clearing hiking trails and other stuff that could be done by those without a job.  Just food for thought.  I wanted other's opinions.  California's CCC Website: http://www.ccc.ca.gov/about/glance/Pages/default.aspx
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Jasperfield

I can just barely resist the temptation to jump into this topic. And my resistance is fadeing fast.

Nope, I'm not gonna' do it.

Tom

The CCC was part of the New Deal and not intended to be a permanent program It ran from 1933 to 1942 and was voted out of operation by congress.   A decent, short article can be found on Wikipedia at this link.

SwampDonkey

It was a good idea, but in today's society it wouldn't fly. The guy on welfare has a right to be on welfare and it would be against his rights to be made to work for it. However, not the same situation for prison inmates, but they now have rights to. Where at one time they lost all them rights the day they walked into the slammer and many worked on the chain gang.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Some of the ccc projects in this area are still visible, especially roads. I had a widowed  aunt who had 3 boys and 4 girls. She survived the depression years on the meager income the boys sent home from the ccc camps. The 2 youngest girls are still living, and believe you me, they know the value of a dollar.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

We have many things we can point to in this area of Michigan built by the CCC boys. Right here in Harrison in fact. The massive log pavilion with its huge stone and stone fireplaces at our State Park on Bud Lake for one. Still in use and still grand to look at.

Leaving the politics of the era out of it, the days of the CCC left some enduring marks on the landscape and indelible marks in our countries history.

If you ever come to the Forestry Forum Pigroast, you can travel 40 minutes North up US 127 from our house to visit the CCC Museum.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-54463_18595_18602-54448--,00.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Nate Surveyor

We have some CCC camps up on Lake Ouachita in Montgomery Co. Arkansas. I like their TASTE in hand construction.

N
I know less than I used to.

Bro. Noble

Our county paper had an interesting article on CCC fire towers in the Mark Twain Forest.  You can probably read it on their website www.ozarkcountytimes.com.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Clark

I'm not into the politics of what a program like that would be or encourage.  I do know that the actual work they could get done would be phenomenal and give forest managers more options (PCT, pruning and bud capping to name a few).  For that alone it would be nice to have that work force available.

I actually grew up about 7 miles from one of the last remaining CCC camps, Camp Rabideau:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/chippewa/camp/camprabideau.htm

It is a shame they were in such a haste to dismantle all the camps.  You would think they could have found a use for some of them?...

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

northwoods1

My dad worked in the camps for several years and he often said they were the best years of his life. Had a warm place to sleep, was well fed, made some good friends, and they were all kept active with many various projects. And they got paid a small amount also which pretty much was all sent home as there was no where to spend it in camp anyway :D I don't know about the politics of how it came about and why it went away, but I find it very hard to believe that a similar type of program could not be implemented today and be an all around good thing for everyone involved trouble is most in government would not be able to see the value of it.

Slabs

I think Swampdonkey illustrated why a CCC type of program wouldn't fly in today's society and I agree with him.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

easymoney

i do not know much about what was accomplished by the ccc. but there is a road in the area that i grew up in connecting two little communities that everyone still calls the ccc road or the ccc hill. about two miles of dirt road that was built by the ccc workers..
today that road would probably be built by some city contractor and very little money would go to local folks in need of a job.

dewwood

I believe the current organization for this type of thing is called the Student Conservation Association (SCA).  They do many different projects including working in state and national parks, national monuments and local organizations.  They provide educational services as well as the typical trail work etc.  They have been working in our area at the state park and also on some Nature Conservancy projects on invasive specie eradication and improvement of the sites.  They are a part of the Americorp program and have projects all over the country.  Another related project is National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC).  There are several related programs all under the Americorp umbrella.  Here is a link http://www.americorps.gov/

The volunteers are not paid per se but do receive stipends for additional education or to use toward existing student loans.  It is a very rewarding program for those who choose to volunteer.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

caveman

My Grand Daddy often spoke fondly of the time he spent in the "CC's".  That is what he called the CCC.  He worked somewhere in West Virginia.  I believe the time he spent in the CCC was his first time out of South Florida.  Prior to joining the CCC, he worked 10 hour days earning a dollar a day doing jobs like hauling citrus to Bradenton in an ox cart or doing bridge construction.  As far as I know, the CCC program went away as America's economic situation improved during and following WWII.  There were a host of programs in addition to the CCC in Roosevelt's new deal.  In Florida, O'leno State Park has a few buildings and a pedestrian suspension bridge that were built by the CCC.  There is also a small museum there with pictures of the young men who built the structures at O'leno.  By the way, O'leno has been hosting Florida's FFA Forestry camp for well over 70 years. 

The thought of doing something like the CCC today would most likely not work.  Today's young people, for the most part, have a sense of entitlement and lack toughness and ambition.  There are exceptions but most have never experienced poverty to the extent that  those growing up in the 20's and 30's lived through. 
Caveman

johncinquo

Many reasons why it might not work in "todays" society, but I would like to see it given a try.  As bad as it seems, I still think, or maybe hold out hope that at the heart of things we are still a group pf people willing to work.  There are plenty of takers and those who feel "entitled", but I would like to think there are still plenty who would stand up and run to a job if it was offered.  When job fairs for companies say they are offering 40 jobs, and 3000 people show up to submit a resume or application, that says people want to work.  Homelessness, unemployment, benefits running out, people are willing to go work NOW if given the chance.  How much money have we sent to other countries recently to help them out?  Spend some of that at home, and put people back to work. If they (we) opened up the jobs, and nobody showed up to do them, well then I guess we would really be as bad off as some people think. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

SwampDonkey

The provincial silviculture program is basically a form of CCC, the work is piece meal not hourly. So, if you want to work you get a nice cheque, if not then stay home. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

I have worked around a # of these California crews in the backcountry, where they do trail maintenance of all sorts. They stay out in organized camps most of the summer, moving to different areas every couple weeks. It is a pretty structured environment, somewhat military-like. They are mostly 18-19 year old city kids who want to do physical work and get out in the woods. There are a lot of them who think they can't cut it after the first few days, but only a few quit, and the rest toughen up.
  I remember riding into one camp this summer with a pack string and most of the crew was sitting around with their feet airing out covered in big blisters. It was the first week for them. One of the bigger guys had blown out both boots and was using gorilla glue and duck tape to hold them together. I thought " these kids are done", but when I came back to move them out, they were in pretty good shape, their feet had toughened up, and no one had missed a day of work or quit. They were pretty proud of themselves, and so was the crew leader.
   It seems to be a good program for the vast majority of those who go in. It would do a lot of other people good if they could be in it as well, but of course the people who need it most would never even give it a try. ::)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

dsgsr

I would love too see something like the CCCs come back. I am & know of some disabled Veterans that would love having something to do that would make them feel useful. A lot of vet's may not be able to do physical work like the normal person but with some mods they can do a lot. I would love to operate machinery and I can do limited physical work but not at a pace that I can find anyone to hire me.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

dave7191

My Dad was at one of the ccc camps In the Harrison area. also one in the Ludington  area. He was there at a younger age than he was suppose to be but they got him in because he was an orphan his folks were gone by the time he was three. His  Grandmother raised him till she died when was 7 or 8 was kicked around the family till he went to the ccc camp 

36 coupe

My Uncle was in the CCC before WW2.The Burlingame Campground was built by CCC boys in Rhode Island.Watchaug Pond had a CCC camp that was used as a boys camp in the early 50s.My Uncle had a tent set up most of the summer and I spent time there.the campground was much the same as it was built in the 30s.Out houses  and water lines with faucets where campers could get water.The 2nd summer I was there a recreation hall was built and some toilet and shower buildings were put up.My Uncle had a small sail boat and 2 small boats one with an outboard motor.My uncle was there on weekends and when the mill shut down for a while he was there full time.The camp ground is still in use.

Just Me

There is a fantastic pair of tributes to the CCC in Glacier Park and Mount Rainier Park, two similar lodges that are a sight to behold if you are a wood guy. Still in use to this day last time I was out there.

easymoney

with so many people sitting around drawing unemployment it would be good to have something like the old ccc corp to give them something useful to do. but it would not work as so many would holler to high heven that they deserve their unemployment check so they could work for someone under the table.

SwampDonkey

Here in Canada, they are making changes to EI. If there is another job you can fill, even if it's one you don't want and you can do, no EI. I don't know if it will pass in Parliament, I doubt it.

scgargoyle

Table Rock State Park in South Carolina has cabins you can rent built by the CCC. They are hand-hewn log, with massive (for the size of the cabin) granite fireplaces. We've stayed in them several times. I hope they preserve them carefully.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

barbender

There is a lot of history on the Chippewa National Forest dating back to the CCC days.  Camps at Rabideau, Lydick lake, Cutfoot Souix, that I am aware of, I'm sure there are many more. There are a bunch of log buildings on Cass Lake, Norway Beach is the name of the place I think. Beautiful work in log and stone. Plus, a lot of our Red Pine plantations were planted by the CCC, including what is now called the Avenue of Pines on Hwy 46 if I am not mistaken.  Some of the CCC camps were used as German POW camps during WWll, some of the Germans were to put to work for local loggers because men were in short supply, many of them didn't want to go home after the war. So I am told. Another area with a lot of historic CCC buildi.gs is the North Shore on Lake Superior, a lot of the state parks up there are CCC work. A lot of nice stone work.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!