iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor furnace install

Started by simonmeridew, May 01, 2008, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

I'm putting in  a new outdoor furnace this month. What's the best way to make the hole in the foundation for the water lines to go through? Advice I've heard says to bring the 4 inch outer pipe clear through the foundation into the basement, rather than just holes for the two water lines and one electrical line. Rent a jackhammer...drill a bunch of smaller holes and knock the rest out...or ...?
Simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Radar67

The optimum way would be to core drill one hole large enough for the 4 inch line. I personally think the one smooth hole helps retain the strength of the slab.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Furby

Yup, and from what I'm told by a poured wall guy, the newer drills rip right through.
Should be able to rent a drill.

beenthere

I rented one (corer) a couple year ago, and it worked quite fast and fairly easy.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I used a hammer drill to go through my wall.Went pretty good.I went on the advise of someone and did not get the bit to hammer the cement out.Not good.Would of been a lot easier I think.I had to drill a hole just about every 2 inches,but it still went fast and easy.I had to come in with 2 lines so I made a good size hole.I used hyd cement when I got done.Just add a little more water so it will pour easier.I came in with 2-4 inch lines and electric.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawdust

I vote for the drill one big hole. I put a 12 inch hole through 8" wall 6 feet off the ground by drilling 5/8 holes every 3/4 inch or so.

Rent a proper hole saw!

That was two years ago, I still dream about it.  :-\

david

comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

woodmills1

I just chiseled and pounded mine out, took awhile but wasn't too ragged.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

simonmeridew

Thanks for the replies! So there are hole saws for concrete 4 inches diameter? I've seen the large bimetallic bits for wood but didn't know they had them for concrete. I'll have to go looking for one I guess.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

WH_Conley

I have used a 4' hole saw before. Hook a garden hose for lube and cooling and drill away. Around here you can get them at Art's Rental, don't know what you may have available in your area.
Bill

thecfarm

By the way I drilled my hole from the inside out.Was not much of a mess at all.Just cement dust.Which was not bad at all.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

Simon. I sent you a PM, I have a 5" diamond bit (SDS-max shank) that I used to bore the hole for my wood boiler.  I'd like to sell it if you're interested.

I found that taping a large shopvac nozzle (from a running vacuum, of course) next to the hole gets 90% of the dust.  Then you just have to deal with the larger chunks.

Thank You Sponsors!