iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for my first mill

Started by Don R, May 21, 2005, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don R

so here's my story. I'm a 61 year old campground owner in S/W virginia. I build furniture in the winter for my 5 kids, 13 grandkids and now first great grandson. several years ago I dropped some old yellow pines, a lot of red and white oak, some walnut, and sycamores. A local guy had a lt40 he wasn't using so he dropped it off at my place and I had a real good time cutting wood for a couple of weeks. I didn't know what I was doing and i"m sure I had a lot of loss, but after a couple years air drying I had an awful lot of mighty fine furniture wood. I sold some, and used some. Now I've got a lot of trees down again and some more to drop as soon as camping season ends, so here comes the point of this whole long story. I'm looking for a small portable mill. shopping around for used is confusing, they are not that much cheaper than new, and the drive to get them with todays gas prices may not be that  practicle. I have been going over this forum and find you are probably the most knowledgable group about this subject that I'm ever going to come across. So what do I want, an lt15 a timberking 1220, a hudson oscar. Geez help an old man out here, please. Thanks for listening, Don

Bibbyman

As you've found out,  used mills,  if kept in good condition,  bring good prices.

I know more about the LT15 than any of the others.  I've seen them produce lumber as accurate as any mill out there.

They've made some real nice design improvements in the latest model having counterweighted the head so it adjusts up and down fast and easy.

Another thing about the LT15 I think is overlooked is,  that's it's available with a 10 hp electric motor.  It'd take about the same hookup as a dryer or arc welder.  Quiet and cheep to run.  (Wouldn't be very mobile.).

The LT15 breaks down for shipping to a pallet size about the size of a ridding mower.  The last time I heard shipping cost, it was about $90.  But that's been some time back and it'd depend on where you were.

Wood-Mizer's customer support is great.

Another big plus... Wood-Mizer has a 30 day full refund policy.  So if you try it and you just don't love it.  Send it back. 

Even after 30 days,  the risk is small if you decide to re-sale it as,  as you've seen,  they go quick on the used market.  In fact,  most used LT15s are sold word of mouth.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ironwood

I have several guys I use for milling. One LT15, one Norwood, one expensive Timber Harvester, one Hudson- Oscar 52. Numerous other mills around as well. I think my best in advertant decision was to hire out milling. I have seen all angles. It all depends on your timber avaliable and you degree of physical agility. Even a full automated mil requires users manually, or with equipment, position big logs. Average to small logs are handled easily. For what I want a fullly manual mill makes the most sense, and the bigger the throat and wheel diameter the better. Your requirements will differ, no doubt. I would look around, have a few new guys mill some logs for you, talk to them find a few with differing mills and educate yourself as you watch them mill in the field. Anyone from  the manufacturer can make their mill shine, like at the shows, check out the guy/gal in the field. Get his/ her input on real life situations.

Service is no doubt important.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Furby

As of 4/04 on the ten horse electric LT15:
Shipping to West Mich. was $190
Weight about 1,000 pounds
Skid size 87" long x 45" wide

If you are not in a hurry, anyone of the three mills you have listed will make good lumber!
Any chance you can make it to SAWLEX or another demo to take a look at the mills?

Dan_Shade

I'm a really small scale lumber producer, I have a Hud-son Oscar 28, it fits my needs, but I made my own new track for it.  the factory track leaves a lot to be desired on the low end models.

my complaints with it are:

1) doesn't have large enough bandwheels, it has 16" wheels and should have 19"+ wheels (for band life)

2) it is made of 1" square tubing, should have been at least 1.5" tubing to stiffen up the chassis.

3) it needs more HP, 8hp just really doesn't cut fast enough, though flipping/situating cants is what takes the bulk of my time sawing.  

But for me, I have a pretty nice working sawmill for less than $4k invested, if I had to do over again, I'd make the whole thing up using bandwheels from cooks saw, and probably 2" tubing for the frame, and a worm gear raise/lower setup.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

D._Frederick

Sawmill & Woodlot magazine has evaluated a number of band sawmills that would fit your needs, see if a library neer you can get back issures. I would do research on the different mills before buying a used one, design improvements as eliminated a lot of "bugs" and made the mills more user friendly.

smwwoody

Remember good support is a big help.  I haven't found a support team in any industry that matches the Wood mizer support. I have seen and opperated many differnt brands of mills.  both band and circle.  in the portable band mill market 2 manufactures stand out in my eye.  Woodmizer and Baker.  they both have that professional look to them. they are built to last and work.  With that said I dont think you could go wrong with any mill from the sponsers to the left.  Find a copany that researches thier product well before it hits the market.  Not one that thinks get it out there and then we will make it work.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!