iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM CBN sharpener overheating

Started by geraldhale, February 14, 2014, 03:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldhale

I bought a new CBN sharpener all most four years ago but never used it but with the cold weather we have been having we set it up and started to use it a little just to touch up blades to run on our resaw but we didnt sharpen more than three or four and the breaker on the control assembly started triping? and no we dont take much off when we run it, it's just makes a very small grind, the motor is not hot to the touch? has anyone else had this issue? I did a serch and did'nt see any other post on this topic? I wonder if I just got a weak circuit breaker but like I said this is basically a brand new machine its just been sitting in my store room in the box it came in the last few years????
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

Chuck White

Gerald, I think I'd just call Wood-Mizer.

Just doesn't sound good to me, regardless of how long it has been in storage!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

losttheplot

Hi, 

If your using an extension cord it might be too much resistance, also if you already have something using the same circuit the total might be more than the breaker can handle.

Hope you get it figured out.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Peter Drouin

In the summer it happen to me all the time, And I grind a little on the heavy side  :D :D
I use an air hose, use a screw driver and open the face, on the side, [just a little] you see where it comes together and when I'm 1/2 way around a blade I blow air into it and that cools the braker. [Maybe for 20 seconds] It works find In the winter I don't need air unless I make it to worm with the heat on. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Sounds like you may have low voltage, I'd check it with an accurate meter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Peter Drouin

I have mine plugged in the wall 12-2 copper wire in the box. Should have 110 there. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bibbyman

You may be grinding too much.   They say .045 will sharpen in one pass. .055 will require two passes.  I sharpen .045 and will take a double pass on a dull blade.

If you think you're not grinding too heavy,   try getting a new breaker.   Our unit was doing the same thing and a new breaker fixed it.  You maybe can get one at Radio Shack or some supply place.  For sure Wood-Mizer has them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

NMFP

There is definitely something wrong as any of the wm sharpeners should not be doing that. 

You mentioned that you are doing it now, especially in the cold.  What are you doing to heat the oil so that it flows well?

terrifictimbersllc

I have the WM shop series CBN grinder and it is very easy to trip the motor's breaker by grinding too heavy.  It's too heavy if you can't hear the double grind sound.  As you probably know the cam is shaped to let the grinder touch down twice during the grind of each tooth.  Makes a "chee-chee" sound, unless it's too heavy of a grind then it starts to sound just like one grind.  This will trip the breaker before the blade is 1/3 to 1/2 done.  Answer is to not grind so heavy.  The motor ought to be more powerful.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodyone.john

I had this problem too, in warm or hot weather I couldn't sharpen a complete band sharpening lightly. Because I only want to sharpen in the shed -ac power, I replaced the dc motor with a bigger ac one and bypassed the cutout. Had no problems since . Overkill perhaps but I can now count on the sharpener.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Bibbyman

Quote from: woodyone.john on February 15, 2014, 03:14:37 AM
I had this problem too, in warm or hot weather I couldn't sharpen a complete band sharpening lightly. Because I only want to sharpen in the shed -ac power, I replaced the dc motor with a bigger ac one and bypassed the cutout. Had no problems since . Overkill perhaps but I can now count on the sharpener.

Did you find a direct bolt on replacement motor?   I searched for one in catalogs but never was sure I found a match. Do you have the brand and model# handy?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

NMFP

A friend of mine asked me about the same thing last year and I couldn't locate anything that was direct bolt on.  Please share the information if you can.

pineywoods

I see the same problem with the old wm drag type sharpener. Usually from grinding too aggressively, but sometimes when the rock hits a bent tooth. Those motors are 12 volt dc. Typically, small amperage breakers aren't very precise. A 5 amp breaker may trip at 4 amps and another just like it may trip at 7.  On my to-do list is a changeout to a 1/4 hp 110 volt motor. If you go that route, make sure the new motor is 3600 rpm or close to that. AC motors will be either 1750/1800 or 3450/3600.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodyone.john

I am lucky enough to have a local die maker [I want to be best friends] who modified both the cbn wheel attachment and 'clocked' the attachment point. it was any old motor to me [just cheap] but it works well. my greatest concern was that the weight would upset the grind angle but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've just created a gallery dedicated to my sharpener mods ,and you sir where the inspiration. thanks for all your input. I have learned heaps from your posts esp mill mods cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

geraldhale

Wow thanks for all the replies, Chuck I called wood mizer who normally gives a lot of dirrection when I call but on this one they just said start with changing the breaker and that was about it? so Im happy to hear Bibbyman say he changed his and it solved the problem. As for my sharpener its pluged stright into the wall, no cords, its a heated room so the oil is warm and we dont grind all that heavy, I mainly use a new blade or resharp by wood mizer on my mill intill its not cutting all that well then I use them on my Baker resaw so we just want to touch up the blades a little, Im not trying to get them as good as new or as good as they come back from the resharp program so I know Im not grinding heavy.
lt40 super,Meadows edger,Weinig moulder,24" Rockwell planer, Salem mill,Cornell edger,Pop up end trim, Fulgum chipper, Baker resaw, hazledine pointer, Landen strapping machine, John deere 480B lift, Case W20 wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!