iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This just ain't fair

Started by OneWithWood, March 23, 2013, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Some prosecutor in Ohio has indicted Punxsutawney Phil. The furry rodent has been charged with misrepresentation of spring, a felony "against the peace and dignity of the state of Ohio," wrote prosecutor Mike Gmoser in an official-looking indictment causing pain and discomfort.

No mention was made of the co-conspirator, Buckeye Chuck, who came out with the same prediction.

Are the good folks of PA going to take this sitting down?  If Phil is sentenced should not Chuck join him in the dock?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GAB

I feel that if Puxy Phil is charged, so should most of the weather forecasters in the country. 
They all need to get their crystal balls recalibrated and the sooner the better for most of us.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Al_Smith

They should have taken note of when the red red robin comes bob bob boben along .

Now if fat Phil wasn't all cooped up in his palace in Pa he would have taken a midwinter stroll and checked out were his potential girl friends were taking their winter naps .Then were he smart the rascal could have awakened before his brethren and romanced them all .That deal is if you snooze you loose .

If old Phil was tardy in his appointed rounds all he would get is a good bite on the nose for his slothfullness.

Magicman

Is there no justice  ???  When you spend your entire life and the only exercise that you get is jumping to conclusions and flying off of the handle somebody is to blame and must pay.  We could take the fine money and pay off the national debt.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

:o Wow must be a huge fine .Poor Phil!

DanG

It occurs to me that if Phil is only correct 39% of the time, they may be looking at this thing backwards.  Maybe seeing his shadow means the opposite of what they think it means, and he is actually right 61% of the time.  The problem seems to be more in the interpretation of the data than with the data itself.  As is often the case, such lapses in judgement are frequently caused by a lack of grits in the diet.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

Hmm well I never looked at it that way but you might be onto something .Now the big question is how does one doctor up grits to not taste like grits ?

sawguy21

:D :D  discussion of gr.ts was almost inevitable. DanG, did you post that before breakfast?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

It's that judgement thing again, Lynn.   ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

What would happen if you fried them up with some nice crisp bacon to camouflage the taste ?

martyinmi

What taste? Al, are you implying that grits taste like something? :D

I've had them twice- both times while visiting my best friend in Gulfport Ms.

Gr..s taste like whatever you SMOTHER them with to hide the tastelessness. :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

Well nephew really in all fairness to our southern brethren I think grits are something you just about  have to be raised on to appreciate them .To me they are akin to hominy or white rice which for all intents have no taste unless you doctor them up .

We yankees seem to have acquired a taste for fried taters instead of something made of corn save whiskey. Now for some reason somebody got the bright idea to make moonshine to run the automobiles on out of it .I can't help but wonder if that will drive price of grits up in the near future . That would cause much weeping and gnashing of teeth no doubt . :D

stefan

-Phil? Phil Connors?

-Ned...Ryerson...?

-Bing!

DanG

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 23, 2013, 02:29:43 PM
What would happen if you fried them up with some nice crisp bacon to camouflage the taste ?

Now that you mention it Al, frying is the perfect and preferred way to prepare leftover grits.  When cold, grits are easily cut into chunks or strips which can be breaded and fried just like a piece of meat.  Fried grits go particularly well with grilled groundhog. ;D

Stefan, the Phil in question is Punxatawnee Phil, the groundhog they use to predict the weather up there in Pennsylvania.  They trot him out about six weeks before the end of Winter to determine if we are going to have six more weeks of winter.  Always seemed like an exercise in futility to me. ::)  It must get awfully boring up there amongst all that snow. :D :D

Paul_H

It's about time they dealt with these shadowy young punx.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

stefan

Quote from: DanG on March 23, 2013, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on March 23, 2013, 02:29:43 PM

Now that you mention it Al, frying is the perfect and preferred way to prepare leftover grits.  When cold, grits are easily cut into chunks or strips which can be breaded and fried just like a piece of meat.  Fried grits go particularly well with grilled groundhog. ;D

Stefan, the Phil in question is Punxatawnee Phil, the groundhog they use to predict the weather up there in Pennsylvania.  They trot him out about six weeks before the end of Winter to determine if we are going to have six more weeks of winter.  Always seemed like an exercise in futility to me. ::)  It must get awfully boring up there amongst all that snow. :D :D

The quotes i wrote is from one of my favorite movies; Groundhog day. I guess if you havent seen it they dont make much sense.
:)

SwampDonkey

I was quite surprised to see him belly up on the road last week with the crows picking on his carcass.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

Means a long dry summer,eh?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Oh that was NB Phil not Pa. Phil .NB Phil was probabley out scouting out the ladies and kinda lost his head for a moment and some log truck came around and flatten him like a pancake .No grits for poor old Phil of the frozen tundra .Now all he is would be a kind of a furry frisbee no doubt .

Brucer

The case against Phil is non-existent. It fails on logical grounds (see DanG's first post) and on scientific grounds. Phil's just doing his thing -- if we can't figure out that we observers got things backwards, that ain't his fault.

On the science side of things, it's a fact -- we cannot (and never will) predict the weather accurately beyond a week. The accuracy falls off dramatically after only 3 days. How can we expect Phil to defy the laws of physics?

I figure the indictment should be against the people who take Phil's predictions serously ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WDH

Quote from: Paul_H on March 23, 2013, 04:10:17 PM
It's about time they dealt with these shadowy young punx.

:D :D :D :D

It is especially bad when those rogue groundhogs gang up.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

OneWithWood

DanG you are one fast thinker.  The first thing I thought of to doctor grits with was deep fried groundhog. digin_2

Now I think it only fair that it be Buckeye Chuck in the fryer. 

The original question was not if PA Phil should be blamed but is it any kind of fair play for a Buckeye prosecutor to go after PA Phil when their own furry prognosticator produced the same data set?

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Al_Smith

Actually whistle pig is not bad if you fix it right .There's a gland under the front legs that looks like yellow fat you have to get rid of though  before you cook it .

Pa. Phil is too fat and tough anyway to end up in the cooker .NB Phil lost his head over  pursuit of female companionship by the sounds of it ,crow food according to Swampish .

Thank You Sponsors!