iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air drying 6/4 and 8/4 wide slab seat blanks

Started by DanK, February 16, 2005, 03:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanK

I've been reading some of the posts in this section and decided I better ask some questions before I get too far and destroy :( :( some really nice wood.

This Past week I picked up almost 200 Bd ft of some very nice 6/4 & 8/4 Cherry, Walnut, Butternut and Tulip boards that are intended for Windsor Chair seat blanks.  I've put them in the storage room above my garage and stickered them.  I thought I would stand back and let them air dry over the next 12 to 18 months.

After reading some of the posts, I've now opende the windows on each end N & S and started a box fan.  The room is open and unfinished.

For now I'm hoping for a nice slow, gentle dry.  as our weather warms the room will also warm.  Anything else I should be paying attention to.  I've aquired a few other wide (20") blanks over the past couple years and I've dried them mostly by just standing them in the corner or against the wall. ;) Beginners luck?

How long should I take before I start carving seats out of some of my specialty boards? ???

Thanks! 8)
Dan Keane

oakiemac

Any idea on what you want your final MC to be for seat blanks.  I would think under 20% which could take until fall. The idea of having a fan blow across them is good- the more air the better.
Where are you located? The local weather will play a big part in air drying. Here in Michigan right now there is not much outdoor air drying going on.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ianab

QuoteHow long should I take before I start carving seats out of some of my specialty boards?

Untill it's dry  :D
Seriously it's hard to give a time because of different climate, wood, airflow etc.
If you dont have a meter you can judge how dry the wood is by weighing a piece on some reasonably accurate scales. Note the weight of your sample board and weigh it each week. When it stops getting lighter, then it's as dry as it's going to get in that environment and ready to use.  Your estimate of 12 months is probably in the ball park, but if you note the weights then you will know for sure.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Just a thought, but if you don't already have some on it, you may want to add some stickers to the top, and then lots of weight. 20" boards will try and cup even at that thickness.

Brad_S.

I checked Michael Dunbar's book on windsor chair making to see what he said about MC but, as I'm sure you already know, he didn't say anything specific, just that drier is better for northern climates.
I agree with Oakiemac that nothing is really happening at the moment, most drying will occur between April and October. Come next fall, I think that if you move them into a heated environment for a month or two, they should be more than ready to go.
There is a very accomplished windsor chair maker near me who likes to use only clear, kiln dried pine. I get tired just watching him rive a log for his spindles.
I admire the patience and skill you chair makers posess! smiley_dwarf_finished_chair
BTW, I've got about a dozen chairs made by Douglas Dimes. Very comfortable and exceptionally beautiful pieces.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Thank You Sponsors!