iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log ends splitting

Started by Joey Grimes, July 19, 2015, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I've been getting some treelength walnut and cherry fresh cut butts will not show any checks or splits when I buck logs to length for sawing before I can get anchorseal to seal ends they are almost splitting into quarters withen 10 minutes particularly cherry.what am I doing wrong I know it would be better in winter when sap is down
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Seaman

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Those are the same two I have a lot of trouble with, all stress in the log I think. Just cut accordingly.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

You are not doing anything wrong.  Some species such as Cherry are "born" with pith checks.  Your job as a sawyer is to orient the log for sawing so that these natural "defects" do not follow you into the lumber stage.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

Sometimes when I'm bucking alder or cherry logs I can hear the log pop over the noise the the chainsaw.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Joey Grimes

Looks like the only way to saw around splits would be to quatersaw. Would only cutting in winter reduce chances of splitting in cherry?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Magicman

Personally I disagree with QS.  My customers prefer the flat sawn look plus there is too much loss with QS.

You can not prevent pith check in Cherry.  It is natural.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

There isn't that strong of a market for quartersawn cherry or walnut.  You might be able to find enough of a market if you don't have that much.  Quartersawn is most popular in the species that will give ray fleck or some other distinguishing feature. 

You can minimize splits by log orientation.  Put the splits on the edge of log so they can be sawn out with the edging.  You'll end up turning more than normal to maximize your yield. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!