iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade pitch

Started by WH_Conley, August 29, 2006, 11:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

What is everybodys take on blade pitch? 3/4 vs 7/8. Any difference? How about sharpening, would there be any special adjustments?

Reason for asking I have found a local supplier that only stocks 3/4, at a pretty good price. 7/8 are a special order. All I have ever used were 7/8. Have a WM sharpener. Opinions appreciated.
Bill

Tom

I prefer 7/8 because it is a little easier on the engine and I don't have to sharpen as many teeth.

3/4 was a standard for a lot of years.  It cuts a little smoother than 7/8.  There really isn't much difference.  If you sharpen your own, you will need a different cam. 

tcsmpsi

When you speak of blade "pitch", what does that actually mean in relation to the blade? 

Looking at the information for my blades, I find no mention of pitch.  The only thing I see, with regard to the "7/8" or "3/4" that is mentioned, is the tooth spacing.  Is this the same? 

Seems I run a different brand of band blade than most on the board, and am thinking I might have different nomenclature. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

beenthere

Blade pitch is the distance between the teeth.

Google   saw blade pitch

and there are some good sites, one being Diamond saw blade definitions

that have good explanations of the different nomenclature of blades.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Thanks, beenthere. 

Actually, Diamond is where my info is, since I am using Sterling (Diamond Saw Works) blades.

Trying to get an effective handle on bandmill blade configurations/differences.

Presently, I am running 1" pitch (between teeth), and as I do not see/hear much (nothing actually) mentioned about 1", had me wondering even more.

Since WH_Conley's query was about blade pitch, thought it relevant and perhaps overall helpful all around.

**Aha!  I just found the blade terminology page at Diamond.   ;)

Have any input or thoughts on running 1" pitch as opposed/compared to 7/8 or 3/4?

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

mike_van

I didn't see a noticeable difference going to 7/8, but it's all I use now. If you went from 3/4 to 1", you would probably see a feed speed increse with the larger gullets.  I do have a Suffolk 2" wide band, 1" ts with huge gullets [compared to Simmonds or WM]  That blade fed fast, really noticeable. A lot of $$$ though.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

The rule of thumb is:  the more teeth in the wood, the more horses it takes to pull it.

All other things being equal, it would take more horse power to pull 3/4 pitch than 7/8 and less if you went to 1".   As your tooth spacing increases the cut is generally a little rougher too.

It seems that the harder and dryer woods do better with a lesser pitch.  3/4 is usually used on resaws and is common in the pallet industry.

tcsmpsi

I am running what came with the mill, and the extras I purchased with the package.

They're 175" (14'7"), 1.360 W, .042 thick, and (as mentioned) 1" pitch.  

The length and width configuration is not something I have found (as of yet) that is 'normal' in other manufacturer's offerings (ultimately meaning more money  ;)).  

Doing/trying other blades/types is not as reasonable as it might be in some other cases.  Though, I can get the same blades with different pitch from the mfr, if there is notable benefit.  

It is....awkward...for me having a cutting tool (blade/drill/etc.) that I am not sharpening myself.

Yet, these band blades, to sharpen by hand and set up a jig for the set isn't practical (unless I had unlimited time...which I don't), or to build the machinery to do so.  

I'm running a manual mill with a 13hp Kohler, and the 1" seems to be working well, but then, without one to compare... ???

My, ain't Life funny.  

beenthere

I have tried to copy in the URL of the Diamond site, but it doesn't 'copy'.

So, will type it in:
http://machinetoolsforsale.com/Extras/Diamond_Blade_Defs.htm

Looks like very useful information there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Anybody know of a source of blades in 1" pitch in 1 1/4" bands?
Might be interesting to try.
Bill

Tom

Baker products used to stock a 1" pitch Lenox woodmaster C.

tcsmpsi

Perhaps a search engine (Google, etc.) trial may find you a selection of blade mfrs. and/or distributors.

Tom

Perhaps you can convince them to sponsor the forum and have their business link appear beside their other competitors, who are sponsors. :)

tcsmpsi

Perhaps, Tom.

Is there somewhere on the forum that explains the nature of, procedure and acceptable/preferred guidelines on convincing a company to become a forum sponsor?

And, of course, the bottom line?

Tom

No. Usually we just try to get them sold and pass them to Jeff.  He doesn't have rigid rules and will do what he can to make it attractive for a company to display their  link.  The important thing for us to do is describe the worthiness of the site to the manufacturer.  What it means to a member goes a long way toward convincing them that they will gain exposure. :)

tcsmpsi

flip

I posed the same question to Mike at Timberking when I was out there a few weeks ago, here's what he said in a nutshell.  7/8 is the best choice for all woods except for the hardest ( osage, hard maple or dry hickory).  I guess they should know.  I have an equal amount of both because I didn't know better and didn't notice any difference in cut speed unless in hard hard stuff.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

TexasTimbers

flip, he suggests 7/8" as a good overall what did he say was the best way to go for osage etc. . . .  up to 1" or down to 3/4"?
I was reading the archives to determine whether or not  to order my new supply of monkey blades (gonna try them for the first time) in 3/4 or 7/8 pitch and ran across this and would really like to know that morsel of info too ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ely

Quote from: WH_Conley on September 02, 2006, 01:03:50 PM
Anybody know of a source of blades in 1" pitch in 1 1/4" bands?
Might be interesting to try.
country saw and knife inc.

Thank You Sponsors!