iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

They do, I was going to cover mine with an old leather apron. I'm inside too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

I went through several seats until a bought one from Tractor Supply, made to fit a Kubota tractor.  It's a good one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I have thought about modifying my operator seat with a wheel that will be on the ground, outboard of the sawmill tire, with a small platform (maybe a foot square) just big enough to stand on while going back and forth!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

This is not a "mod" as such but just an idea to eliminate a nuisance at times.  Sometime when I return the saw head I'm going a bit too fast and hit the bumper which in turn causes the control panel lid to close. 

I have these little round magnets that hold notes, cut lists, etc. to the inside of the lid so today I thought about moving one of them to the top of the control box.  It worked perfectly and held the lid open/up during an unplanned sudden stop.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I'm too DanG old to slow down!  wheeliechair

Southside

It's got a diesel motor and it's really souped up
That Model A ride along seat makes it look like a pup
It's got four cylinders, uses them all
He's got Turbos on it, they just won't stall
With Accuset running and the straight exhaust
The logs turn to lumber and none get lost

A flashy taillight is all you can see
As another gum tree fell he said "Boys that ones for me"
He was in pattern mode and cranked the pot to 10
It was all she had, he hit top end

Sawdust was flying
He hit the bump stop at the end
The cover slammed down, he said "not again"

The cheat sheet fell, the pencil was wrecked
Lunch will be late, I suspect

All at once I heard him say 
"Stick one here, this won't happen again today"
After that all you heard was the brushes clinkin'
And the boss man saying -
"That thing reminds me of a hot, rod, Lincoln"

move_it smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

WDH

And he is a poet, to boot :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

gdaddy01

Bandmill Bandit

Too funny but kinda true to I think.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

smiley_heh_heh  Who da heck was he talkin 'bout??   smiley_headscratch 

terrifictimbersllc

Hint...he needs a small vacation, and it don't look like rain....
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Well at least we now know what his occupation is or was.  :D

Peter Drouin

Going to try this for a while and see how it goes.

When I get it the way I want I will fix the pading.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I like your mod, Peter!

The one thing I always disliked about the Operator Seat was the lack of "easy on and off", and it looks like yours will be basically just turn and step off!  I like it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

No cup holder. :D  Looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I have been getting a rubbing sound when raising and lowering the head, only for a portion of the travel.
I lube with ATF religiously.
Checked the pad adjustment and all was OK.
Manual says be sure to check with the head at the top and bottom of the mast only as there may be a variation in the mast itself.
I suspect this is the case, but dont know why it has just started making the noise.
I am thinking of replacing the pads with a material called nylatron.
It is nylon impregnated with a lubricating substance.
It is used for some pretty heavy duty industrial applications and is available in 2x2 sheets of varying thickness.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Check your sawmill leveling side to side and end to end.  You may be able to tweak it a bit one way or the other which would change the mast balance and could make a difference.

Chuck White

You could also have a wood chip in a place where it rubs at a certain point in it's travel!

YellowHammer

I had the same thing happen when the mill mast wasn't vertical or had changed angles.  The pads would drag on odd, unloaded portions of the mast and cause the dragging.  Nothing wrong, after awhile, the pads would polish the new surface and would would stop making the noise.  Or I would re-level the mill.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jim H

I've had the pads wear down until the bolts holding them on started to drag on the mast. That nylatron sounds good as long as it's not a lot softer than the pads supplied on the mill. I think they use derlin.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Jim_Rogers

Someone posted here on the forum, how they added some brushes to keep their belts clean.
I was walking through a store and saw a brush head that was wooden and bought it.
I cut it with my chop saw and have lots left to add more after these wear out.
drive wheel side:

Idle wheel side and left over brush:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!