iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

2x live oak for a mineral feeder?  What is your neighbor running for cattle?  Bodacious clones? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

Larry: speaking of bodacious clones, is your lumber grader also known as Sampson, log dog extraordinaire? 
Its good to see hime on the job, keeping you (maybe not your logs) on the straight and narrow.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Andries,

I think you mean Larry's log dog Hank.

My log dog is Sampson. Now if I could just wake him up and get him off the couch to go to work. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Howard, it is sad he may be on your lap on the couch.  You might not get anything done either.!  ffcheesy   :snowball:   running-doggy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Larry

Working hard on the green chain.

On breaks from grading lumber Hank can be found guarding our property from dangerous beasts. Who knows that thing could have rabies.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fluidpowerpro

Looking at his coat is Hank a Chesapeake?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

NewYankeeSawmill

Finally got some of that cedar on the mill:

Got her cut down to square 1.5" sticks. Tomato stakes are coming!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Magicman

My today was a re-run of yesterday.  The eight o'clock tailgunners arrived at 9:35, and then had to move yesterday's lumber and sticker it.

Meanwhile back on the sawmill, first one and then two, each costing $45. 

I finished the 2X8's from the first log and now have an 18' almost sawed into 2X6's when the rain came.  I shut er down and we will resume Monday morning.

I previously mentioned that this job is only two miles from home, so I really don't care.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rhodemont

Starting my 20 ft Tulip Poplar logs for 4 x 10 rafters.   This log yielded three rafters and some jacket boards.  As I expected the pith centered rafter is flat.  The two off center have about 1/2 inch curl away from the center.  They will be stacked with curl down then a big log set on top for weight.  26 more to go. 

IMG_0787.jpgIMG_0788.jpg
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

caveman

We just sent out a good-sized pack of 1x6 and 1x8's and also sawed a 12"x18" live oak for a fellow.  The fellows who bought the pine drove from a couple of hours away and showed up with a box trailer with a ramp.  John nor I wanted to handle these boards again.  With the telehandler and a little creativity, we were able to load the whole pack in one shot.f

The last little (12" small end) pine log we sawed was loaded with pitch.  Logs like this and the live oak have us considering installing/making a lubemizer type arrangement.  I think we have just about enough spare parts, minus a pump, to build one.

The band was slipping a bit on the new B56  belts, even when running the blade tension over 3000 psi.
Caveman

Magicman

I hate seeing logs like that  smiley_thumbsdown  and that is enough pitch buildup to wave the blade.  :uhoh:

That is when I am running my LubeMizer on continuous.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

Black Cherry.

Finished sawing the white pine and spruce I logged over last winter, and have got through most of the black cherry logs I cut.
Tried to more or less box the heart and grade saw, working around the usual center rot so many have. Got quite a few good grade boards, and lots with nice color. Sent a pic of the boards with curl to one of my best customers, and now those are spoken for. ffcool

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

fluidpowerpro

Those are some nice looking boards!
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

TimW

Wow, those sure look nice.  Wish we had Cherry down here.  Is it easy sawing?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Resonator

Thanks! Yes black cherry saws real nice, and as always the fresher the logs the better. Like I said the difficult part is working around the center rot area. I'll often only get a couple good red boards per face side once I get below the sapwood, and before I get to the rot. Also it's hard to get good 8' boards because of how crooked they grow here. Luckily my customer can use the shorter odd lengths for charcuterie boards, and small cabinets he builds.

Larry

Black cherry is my favorite wood to saw and to use for furniture. I have trouble selling it, but on the other hand I can usually buy logs cheap. The commercial mills usually have a few old logs they have been holding waiting for the market to improve. Cherry here is usually good big logs thanks to the low demand. If the market was hot it would be impossible to get logs as we don't have a lot.

I also use lots of boards with sapwood as a design feature.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

A many times previous customer just texted me wanting to know when??  He has Cherry to saw.  He is a hobby furniture builder so it is always fun to saw for him.  "Bout 10 logs total.

There is a possibility that I may finish the beetle killed Pine job that I am sawing tomorrow.  I think that we are down to 5 logs in the 26" class which will all be 2X6's.

caveman

John (JMoore) got the call on a CL ad for us to saw some hickory logs into slabs.  He raised our hourly rate by $50 an hour without talking to his partner.  We sawed the logs, and the customer paid the rate and gave us a $20 tip.  He may be CEO material.  At first, he said saw the slabs as you would your own.  We sawed at 2 1/2" thick.  After the first two or three he said cut them at 1 1/8".  He's the boss, but this is hickory.  I suggested a sticker every 16" and to park a truck on top of them while they dry.

Yellowhamer would have had a conniption fit had these logs rolled (been dragged unwillingly) into his yard.  They would not roll, had more points than the mine that sank the Maine but at least they were clean and without hardware. 

The customer has a book coming out on Amazon this week about detectives.  I told him I probably would not leave a copy lying around my house, fearing my wife would think I switched teams, due to the title.

Cypress, red oak and more pine are up next. 
Caveman

Southside

Wow Larry - that's impressive Cherry.  Around here it's twisted, small, full of rot, and basically only grows on the edge of fields.  Never seen it like that. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

jpassardi

Yeah, same here SS - I find myself milling small cherry logs because that's all we have. Cut out the pith and sapwood and there are surprisingly useful boards within though. Same deal: twisted, branched and small diameter though.
It's my favorite to mill also Larry.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Resonator

That cherry Larry sawed... Wowzer! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

GAB

Quote from: caveman on May 06, 2024, 09:46:09 PMJohn (JMoore) got the call on a CL ad for us to saw some hickory logs into slabs.  He raised our hourly rate by $50 an hour without talking to his partner.  We sawed the logs, and the customer paid the rate and gave us a $20 tip.  He may be CEO material.  
I would suggest not telling him that as it just might cause his head to swell and then his hat won't fit.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

barbender

If he got me that much of a raise, I'd buy him a bigger hat😊
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

some may take offense to the CEO comment.  not always a complement in some circles!   :thumbsup: :snowball: ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!