iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mandrel tachometer

Started by lyle niemi, April 23, 2012, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

I had robbed this off the old combine also. It was used for the cylinder speed but should work good for the saw speed also..its worth a try

Woodchuck53

And a DanG idea. I got lots of combine parts.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

snowshoveler

That is a DanG idea...be pretty nice to tell at a glance what the mandrel is turning.
You can keep track if the shaft slows when you are in heavy cuts.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

lyle niemi

Quote from: snowshoveler on April 23, 2012, 08:58:52 PM
That is a DanG idea...be pretty nice to tell at a glance what the mandrel is turning.
You can keep track if the shaft slows when you are in heavy cuts.
Chris
I was just playing with it and it doesnt even need power to make it work. it must create its own power when it turns to send a signal to the tach. The mandrel shaft looks pretty close to the little pulley on the combine. It might be bang on for being accurrate. I will let you know when I get to that part of the project 8)

lyle niemi

Even tho the weather was not very nice, it was cloudy with a cold strong wind and still lots of mud, I had to do something. I installed the mandrel tach drive and the instument cluster. I used a heavy O ring as a belt. Betcha wondering how I got that O ring around all those pulleys with out unbolting anything???? Well I remembered that I have an O ring repair kit, I just measured out the O ring material and glued it, I first tested out the glued Oring and you can stretch that out a mile before it will let loose. It should work good 8)

snowshoveler

Nice setup. I was wondering how it would work.
Now with the pictures and explanation I know.
Thanks
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

reride82

Great idea Lyle, I'll have to check and see if there is anything like that on either of the scrap combines I have at my disposal.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Magicman

I do not need a mandrel tachometer, but I am interested in that O Ring Repair Kit.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

I fired up the mill and tried out the tach, I compared it to a hand held one and its dang near bang on! At 2100 the mandrel is running a little over 600.
Majicman, I looked at the O ring kit but could not find a label on it. Not even sure how it got in my shop.

bandmiller2

Majic,national "O" rings makes a kit coils of "O" ring stock cutter cleaner and adhesive.I have found them best on static sealing duties.Have in a pinch used crazy glue,but I won't sware to that. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ALWOL

That looks like it will work really well, and be a big help to you in your sawmilling.
   John Henry Foster, the hydraulic supply house, will also have those o-ring repair kits.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

eastberkshirecustoms

McMaster-Carr also carries the splicing kits: http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=ha3won
They do come in handy when you need an odd or custom size, or as Lyle has shown- when you need a small belt ;D

dave9252

Quote from: lyle niemi on April 26, 2012, 08:14:47 PM
I fired up the mill and tried out the tach, I compared it to a hand held one and its dang near bang on! At 2100 the mandrel is running a little over 600.
Majicman, I looked at the O ring kit but could not find a label on it. Not even sure how it got in my shop.

If its the 1 i left there for you a while back, no-one needs to know where it came from.. lol
Or should i just say 'perks of the job'..........

Thank You Sponsors!