iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Deere powershaft (PTO) attachment

Started by Trapper John, June 30, 2016, 05:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper John

Does anyone have a PTO attachment for a John Deere 1010 crawler tractor, or knows where to find one?  I believe the same attachment was used on 1000 series farm tractors.  I am having trouble trying to use a car engine and flat belts to power my Belsaw but I do have a 40 hp diesel crawler that I could hook up direct if I can find the PTO attachment.  I would also need the shaft to the arbor. 

ladylake

Cant help you with the JD but is 40 hp enough power to run a circle saw, I might look around for a 930 Case which can be bought cheap or maybe a old combine motor.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

goose63

Try Hortness Implement Peever S D 605 932 3651

He might beable to help you out
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

DMcCoy

Phillips Tractor, Gaston, OR
503-662-3929

They deal mostly in old(er) CAT parts but I see a few Deere there as I drive by.

If they don't have it they could probably steer you in the right direction.

Trapper John

I also thought 40 hp was not enough and that is one reason I tried using the car engine.  However I was told by very knowledgeable circle saw guy that a 40 hp diesel farm tractor run direct would out perform a V-8 car engine.  I have not given up on my car engine yet (Chevy 250) as I plan to change a pulley so I can get the rpm on the engine up higher than the 2300 where it is now.  At 2300 rpm the engine just bogs down.  I have several plans for powering my saw and I am pursuing each to see where they go and what works.  I may have a line on a 353 Detroit without a clutch.  But I have a junk 453 Detroit with a clutch and was wondering if that clutch would simply bolt up to a 353.  Does anyone know?  I found a 671 Detroit with clutch but I think it is overkill for a Belsaw and I don't want more power than I need because of the cost of fuel out here.  I want to be able to saw 20 inch logs but I am not into production.  I sure see a lot of saws powered direct with farm tractors so it must work. 

Kbeitz

Raising your RPMS up higher you will loose more power.
If you want toque you need to lower your RPMS.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ladylake

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 01, 2016, 02:19:37 AM

But you gain torque when gearing it down for higher rpms.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

Quote from: ladylake on July 01, 2016, 06:03:45 AM

You lost me there... " gain torque when gearing it down for higher rpms" ???
How do you get higher rpm by gearing it down ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Quote from: Trapper John on June 30, 2016, 07:54:08 PM
I also thought 40 hp was not enough and that is one reason I tried using the car engine.  However I was told by very knowledgeable circle saw guy that a 40 hp diesel farm tractor run direct would out perform a V-8 car engine.  I have not given up on my car engine yet (Chevy 250) as I plan to change a pulley so I can get the rpm on the engine up higher than the 2300 where it is now.  At 2300 rpm the engine just bogs down.  I have several plans for powering my saw and I am pursuing each to see where they go and what works.  I may have a line on a 353 Detroit without a clutch.  But I have a junk 453 Detroit with a clutch and was wondering if that clutch would simply bolt up to a 353.  Does anyone know?  I found a 671 Detroit with clutch but I think it is overkill for a Belsaw and I don't want more power than I need because of the cost of fuel out here.  I want to be able to saw 20 inch logs but I am not into production.  I sure see a lot of saws powered direct with farm tractors so it must work.
I would think a 353 would be a good choice for the Belsaw. I have a 353 on my gen set and it is very fuel efficient. Best I can tell less than a gallon an hr running my 20 hp electric mill. But it runs at 1200 rpm also. I would think the clutch would bolt right up.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

cuznguido

The clutch that fits a 4-53 will also fit a 3-53 as will many other parts.

ladylake

Quote from: Kbeitz on July 01, 2016, 07:58:43 PM
Quote from: ladylake on July 01, 2016, 06:03:45 AM

To keep the same blade speed and run the motor at higher Rpm you would need a smaller pulley on the motor  or a larger pulley on the saw arbor which will make  more torque at the blade.  Steve

You lost me there... " gain torque when gearing it down for higher rpms" ???
How do you get higher rpm by gearing it down ?

Trapper John

I agree with you Steve and I am thinking about building a larger pulley for the arbor with a tire on a steel rim.  Sounds simple enough, order a keyed and set screwed sprocket and weld it on the wheel.  Got to be lighter than a cast iron pulley which may be good because we are talking about a Belsaw arbor which is only 1.75". 

Thank You Sponsors!