iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

prices list for oak to build a table?

Started by sparky1, May 05, 2012, 07:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

Im not sure if this should be posted here or in the milling section.. Im sure ill get my info anyway.

Well I finnaly figured out the dining room table im going to build. I have a material list all made up. I think im going to make it out of pine. Id like to make it out of oak. Im afraid of the prices, and I dont have a planner and a jointer. I could always buy them though :)  anyways out of curiousity what would I be looking at for total bill on this material list? doesnt need to be exact, just a ball park figure. Im thinking id be around $150  or so with pine.  Might not even be that much.

■4″x4″x8′s – 3
■2″x8″x8′s – 3
■2″x12″x12′s – 2
■2″x4″x8′s – 4

the 2 - 2"x12"x12's   would be able to be swapped out with  4 - 2"x12"x6'  If that would make it easier to get the lumber. Im sure the prices are some what based where you live in too. This is just kinda for curiousty sake for me. Id really like oak, and Id really like to have a planner and a jointer in my work shop too!! :D  Thanks and hope you all have a good weekend.
Shaun J

Magicman

I wish you were closer to me.  I would saw and give it all to you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bama20a

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2012, 07:52:32 AM
I wish you were closer to me.  I would saw and give it all to you.   :)
smiley_clapping smiley_clapping,
That what I like about this forum,MM is one fine fellow,My hats off to you sir.Mark,,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

sparky1

I wish you were closer to MM!!   ;D
Shaun J

Magicman

But I did not answer your question.  Surely someone is close to you and can/will help out.

I can plant a seed, but I can't make it grow.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 05, 2012, 08:31:37 AM

I can plant a seed, but I can't make it grow.   :)

I can catch a crawfish but I can't eat it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

sparky1

if you were my grunt for a day or so,  somethin could be worked out.   have about 4 chords of 10 to 15 in dia short logs from 3 ft up to 8 ft to move out of a field..with NO LOADER ..lol   Its a pta loadin a 12 in dia log 8 ft long in the back of a truck yourself!
my "cobbled"  csm only dose 8 ft long, but i can clamp down to only 8 in dia,  16 inch long!

Im  only around 5 hrs away tho  lol

terrifictimbersllc

Have you tried to find any sawmills that sell lumber?  Freshly cut oak in the size ranges you ask about goes for $0.90-$1.20 a board foot at a mill near where I live. I send people there all the time when I am asked for lumber.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

westyswoods

Where in S WI are you located? What type of oak and does it need to be dried and or are you looking to have it milled green. If so what dimensions do you want it milled.

I have some good size slab white oak which was milled last year and also a ton of other hard woods which you might be interesting in if. I just need to get burlkraft to get up on that muddy hill and mill it.

Are you reading burlkraft?

Maybe we can help him out.

Stay Safe Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

low_48

Have you calculated weight of that table? Looks like it will be just a hair north of 400 pounds in red oak. That's one whopper of a table. Going to pull the truck on it to change oil? It should handle it! ;)

Brad_bb

Unlike buying in a box store, most hardwood, or other wood from a sawyer is sold by the Board Foot.  It's important that you understand how to calculate Board feet.  It's also important to understand if you are talking nominal dimensions, or finsihed dimensions.

For your 2X 12X 12 actual rough sawn, 2inX12inX12feetX12in=3456 cubic inches.  That's the volume.  The volume of one board foot (a board 1inX12inX12in) = 144cu inches.   Divide your total volume by 144.   3456/144 = 24 Board Feet.  Once you get comfortable using BF, it will help with costing.  You can calculate your cost using this  method.

Timberifictimbersllc gave you a BF cost which I would say is accurate $.80-1.80 per board foot is typical for white oak.  Less for pine.  Keep in mind that the oak is far heavier.  You may be able to reduce the thickness of some of your table parts and still be just as strong and not have a talble that is too heavy to move.  Being in Wisconsin, there are plenty individual sawyers in your area to sell you wood.    By wood that is already dry though.  Making a table with green oak would be a problem.  It shrinks as it dries.

A planer is a good tool to have.  It's fun to use and will allow you to buy rough sawn lumber at much lower cost than fully planed wood.  I do recommend a dust collector with the planer though.  it makes a lot of chips.  I bought my first planer about a year and a half ago(Dewalt DW735) and I love using it.  I planed some rough Black Walnut this morning and it's a rush to see the beautiful grain come out of the planer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sparky1

well I opted for the cheaper route. I would love the look of a Oak table, but I bought all the lumber from menards for less than a Hundred dollars. I got the base all made up. Now I just have to make the top. Im making it out of 2x8s and when its assembled Im gonna hit it with chains and blades to rough it up a bit. Give it that reclaimed look. I hope Im satisfied with it. If not Its good fire wood starter. 8) .  Then back to Oak.

On a side note. It took me quite a while and alot of diggin to get lumber thats not warped from that store.  On another side note I bought a Kreig jig, for doing pocket joints.  That tool is great.   Id highly recomend it. I bought the cheap version with out all the clamps for about 30 bucks.  Have a good week all!!  The kids fussy, gotta go play with him now 8)
Shaun J

shelbycharger400

cant forget a propane torch to the edges!!!!  just have a spray bottle or a garden hose handy...doing it OUTSIDE!

sparky1

heres how my table will look when done.

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/10/27/make-a-dining-room-table-by-thanksgiving/

I changed a couple of things on it. Like making the top out of 2x8s instead of 2x12s.  Menards didnt have any straight 2x12s and Im sure there probably hard to find them perfect.  I also the the bottom board that connects the two bases together out of a 4x4.  Im just hoping using pine it doesnt look like a picnic table when I'm done. If it does Westywoods I'll be getting ahold of you. 

If I did use Oak I would want it dried. I made a project back in high school out of wet wood. Looked great for about 2 weeks! :D   The top could be less than 2 inches. Id be happy if it was 1" after it was all planned. Hopefully by next weekend ill be putting the rest of it together. I gotta go outa town for work this week.
Shaun J

sparky1

Thats a tempting offer Shelby. Id be happy to work for a day for the wood!  The 5 hour drive is a killer. Ive driving 8 hours before to get to our jobsite. I was paid though :)

It would be a good thing to see, ive never seen an actual mill in operation. I have to admit all the people on here talking about their mills and the stuff that they get into sounds like a real rewearding job or profession to be in.. Could just be me outside looking in. maybe its not all great, I dont know??  I was thinking if I get other bills paid off Id like to buy a mill, maybe small and kinda do some hobby things for myself. See where it goes from there.

Ill have to put it on my list of things I want to do.  Thats prolly about 50 right now.. :D
Shaun J

low_48

Please note that Menards lumber is around 19% moisture or more. Furniture grade wood is 6%to8%. We use Menards 4x4 at work to make shipping crates in emergencies. They crack and split all the time when they sit around. Of more concern is the construction method of the table top in that picture you showed. That is called a bread board end. It is better known as cross grain construction. One board that is perpendicular to the others. If you fasten all that tightly together, something has to give as the wood in the field of the table shrinks, and the board on the end doesn't. Rustic is what you are going for, so you are setting up for split boards on the top of the table unless you let the boards move.

sparky1

Yeah I was thinking about that low.. I havnt quite firgured out a way to do that easily and make it decent yet.. 
Shaun J

stumpy

Hey Sparky, if ya want to come over to my mill and nose around a bit, you're welcome to.  I don't claim to be an expert, but ya might pick up a few things.  I'm in Pewaukee.  My website is www.rustic-woodfurniture.com
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Brad_bb

When you go to stain it, consider using a blotch control (pre-conditioner).  Here's a video from Charles Neil about blotch control:
http://youtu.be/IfCYMdrP8rM

Here's one that particularly pertains to pine:
http://youtu.be/nez37TOCWgQ
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sparky1

Well here is the dining room with my table i built.

Here is a little closer view of it.

Here is the legs attached with lags painted black

Here is the bench I made to match it
Shaun J

DanG

Well I think that's a great looking table!  That style looks better in pine than it would have in oak, imo.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bill Gaiche

sparky1, nice job. That will last a lifetime. bg

Norm

sparky1

Thanks, it was pretty simple to make... probably had it ready to go in 3 to 4 hours.. staining and polying it on the other hand took a bit longer :)
Shaun J

jamesamd

Well done Sparky!!!
How did You attach the bread boards?
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Thank You Sponsors!