iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prevalence of curly (figured) white ash...

Started by ilikewood, December 29, 2012, 04:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilikewood

Hi, I know that figure in cherry trees occurs in about 1 in 200 trees... what is the prevalence in white ash, how rare is it?  I want to be able to quote people some stats when they ask about the wood.

(reminds me of when I was in middle school and made a clock out of mahogany because my mother's Chickering paino was mahogany... my clock did look as beautiful as the paino because the paino was RIBBON mahogany! :))

Dodgy Loner

I doubt if there are any statistics out there for the prevalence of figure in white ash. Curly ash is rarely segregated and sold separately from non-figured ash. It lacks the chatoyance of woods that are typically prized for figure, such as maple, cherry, and mahogany. However, if you have some curly ash, you have every right to sell it as something special, because it is! I just wouldn't try to attach a number to it.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I have personally never seen any, and I would like to see some  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

I have about 500bf of it cut a couple years ago. It is beautiful and I keep waiting for a special project for it.  The log was close to 4' in diameter!
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

I'd say it was fairly common. I couldn't give you any numbers. I know I just have a small stash of ash that is getting pretty well used up and I've found curly in that stack. I know others on here have seen it quite frequently. Al showed us some in his mantle at his place. He thought it was ray figure until we enlightened him. ;D It does not stand out that well as sawed material. If split with an axe you'd never overlook it.

Heck, hard maple I have used from around here is full of different figuring. Most just isn't uniform enough in a piece to be graded as figured.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lumberjack48

I've cut a lot of W Ash, all straight grain, i cut it all in to firewood. Its excellent firewood, burns with a blueish, white flame.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

WDH

Quote from: metalspinner on December 30, 2012, 10:28:49 AM
I have about 500bf of it cut a couple years ago. It is beautiful and I keep waiting for a special project for it.  The log was close to 4' in diameter!

Chris, I need to come see you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to admit....I've never seen Curly White Ash......but I do know someone who may drive for miles and miles to get it.  :) He's right above me.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

metalspinner

No need to drive all that way, Danny.  You can see it here in this pic...

The top half of the stack onthe left...

:D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Why do I all of a sudden have a craving for apple juice  ???.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 02, 2013, 10:55:01 PM
Why do I all of a sudden have a craving for apple juice  ???.

Yep....nothing like some good White Ash and a cold glass of Apple Juice. Stay thirsty my friend.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

jueston

piston, every time i look at your new avatar i smile now, just thinking about how someone had said that about jay and posted the video..... that had me rolling on the floor laughing....

Thank You Sponsors!