iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John deere 440 C Any interest in getting one ?

Started by Satamax, June 20, 2024, 10:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

Well, sanity check again. Are parts findable for these ones ?

Pricewise, it is at about 12900$, plus certainly 2000 shipping. Tires to change, i bet no chains.

Any advice ?

Thanks.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Frickman

The parts are easy to find.  That is a great machine.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

BargeMonkey

440C was make from 76-83 ? Good machine. Parts are around. 

Ron Scott

A good steady machine. Had a few in use on logging jobs here. One had some down time waiting for parts with a transmission issue but was up and running after repairs without incident.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=79872.msg1213676#msg1213676
~Ron

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

tacks Y

I disagree,  some tranny parts are not available. Some tranny parts from a 440 and 440A  will exchange but there are some that come from just a C.

They are not the best getting in and out of. On a slight hill when getting out hold on.  Not much room between the steps and the tire either.

Maybe the others have a source for part from the ag tractors? I talked to a few with machines down and parked due to tranny parts.

tacks Y

Also watch the E Brake. Most I have seen have been removed.  Mine was on and it worked good.  The man who bought mine was replacing his C that an operator burned up by leaving it on. It is behind the tranny and easy to see.

BargeMonkey

I'm not sure if he's talking US dollars or Euros. Have to be MINT to bring 20k for a C model even during the covid madness. Brake is diff, floor pan, C model is about 1ft shorter than a D, steering cylinders are diff. Still ALOT of them around, couple places in Maine have a trans on the shelf, bands, swivels. Harold's was 3-400 last time I did a band, I bet Deere is 12-1400 now for a new band. All depends on condition, for what they are they are a good machine and they don't use any fuel. Guy who works for us has a C, we have a D, my buddy has a half breed B, they kept making them better as they went. Reliable, no fuel, if your used to something that's planted to the ground and steep stupid ground I don't recommend a 440 period.
20190712_202310.jpg20190712_185723.jpg

Southside

I am spoiled by my old Franklin since it oscillates too and likely won't do what that last picture shows.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Satamax

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 21, 2024, 04:01:26 PMI'm not sure if he's talking US dollars or Euros. steep stupid ground I don't recommend a 440 period.
20190712_202310.jpg20190712_185723.jpg
Well, the mater is sorted. It's been sold. I bet to a broker, as this one disappeared, and exactly the same appeared  about 100 miles away, with 10000€ more.

I was giving the price in dollars. It was 12000€ and about steep ground, it's what i have!

I missed one, 440 A or B, about one month ago, for 3000€  smiley_crying The radiator needed to be changed. The guy had the part. And he was retiring.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Southside on June 21, 2024, 10:51:33 PMI am spoiled by my old Franklin since it oscillates too and likely won't do what that last picture shows. 
405 Franklin takes that 440Ds lunch money. Starting to see the low hour ones surface, 405S2 with 4k hrs in PA right now, Sharps has a 185 in nice shape for sale. 

That C looked clean, blade wasn't stove up. The tasty stuff is coming for sale, 240C for sale 1hr from me, couple 440Ds, decent G3s, they all fit in a shipping container 😆. 

Satamax

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 22, 2024, 07:03:28 PM
Quote from: Southside on June 21, 2024, 10:51:33 PMI am spoiled by my old Franklin since it oscillates too and likely won't do what that last picture shows. 
405 Franklin takes that 440Ds lunch money. Starting to see the low hour ones surface, 405S2 with 4k hrs in PA right now, Sharps has a 185 in nice shape for sale.

That C looked clean, blade wasn't stove up. The tasty stuff is coming for sale, 240C for sale 1hr from me, couple 440Ds, decent G3s, they all fit in a shipping container 😆.

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

I bet that would be way out of my league. Remember, for the moment it would just be for a hobby. 

A friend of mine tells me, just get a tractor. I nearly did. A weird one, a Fendt Xylon. Which would be cleverer. Because i could transport stuff on the road with it too. 

Dom

I'm sure Barge can send a tractor too.  ffcheesy a follow sends alot of old Massey's and Ford's to Europe that are being bought for tractor pulls. Forestry machine tends to go to South America. 

A tractor would make sense as it's multipurpose.

The xylon and mb track always interested me as there's none around here. From what I read they have great visibility in front, but hard to see in the back. Xylon was a bit hard to get in too. Obviously this is just what I read, no actual experience. 

Nothing beats a skidder for actual skidder work.

thecfarm

I use a tractor with a 3 pt winch on my land. Slow and I do mean slow. But it does not have to make me money. Stumps need to be cut low, can't cowboy it through the brush and small trees need to be cut. Can't bring out as much either and the list goes on.
I take a load of   rayrock when I go in and fill in any wet holes and uneven spots. yes, takes time, but every improvement I make stays with me and I get to use it that way for years.
Then when I head for the house the bucket is either filled with wood or dirt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Log-it-up

I know I'm a little late too the party but,I Cut my teeth on a 440c ran it for 8 years and it's a hole new meaning to pucker factor on steep ground they might as well come with 3 tires that's what's on the ground most of the time you learn up and down try to avoid the side hill but will climb about anything parts are available but getting harder to find 
Good luck on your search 

mudfarmer

If you go from using a tractor in the woods to a 440, you won't think the 440 is "tippy" it will feel glued to the ground in places a tractor would already be on its side :sunny: :thumbsup: Mine has been on 3 wheels less times than the tractor has been on 2......  :uhoh:

Riwaka

Convert a Tigercat or Camoux etc skidder to electric with some big EU sustainability research grant money.

le Seederal electric tractor. (converted JCB fastrac)
https://youtu.be/mNQ2vKaJmWM?si=fmxShG7pBqH5kkzD

Southside

Got a chuckle out of the comment about "it works 8 hours which is a good day already"....OK, not sure about that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Satamax

@Southside, c'mon, that's France! Slowly in the morning, not too fast in the evening!

More seriously, i'm a lazy one. But plenty of people in france work hard.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

The stuff has only begun to come out of the woodwork. That doesn't seem like bad money for a pair of C models.
Messenger_creation_9daa5893-c4be-497d-b94d-0cef2b8f40d4.jpeg

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

Satamax

Freedy201

Wow, that Xylon setup you described sounds like a beast of a machine! I can see why you'd want to fit it out with a crane, log grapple, blade, and winch - it would be an incredibly versatile and powerful tool for forestry work.

And thanks for sharing the Google search link - it's great to see the Xylon in action. Fendt really knows how to build a rugged and reliable machine.

Thank You Sponsors!