iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traverse City Ice Princess

Started by Jeff, June 13, 2006, 01:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Quote from: Gary_C on January 18, 2011, 10:16:05 AM
Oh, and no nurses!  :)

Oh yes there are!  Well, maybe they are not called Nurses, but they have em.

I always thought that when I would hear "They could not make it as a Dr., so they became a Vet" that that was balderdash.  An M.D. only had to learn one species while a vet must become intimately familiar with many different physiologies.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sandhills

Quote from: Jeff on January 18, 2011, 10:50:54 AM
Quote from: Gary_C on January 18, 2011, 10:16:05 AM
Oh, and no nurses!  :)

Oh yes there are!  Well, maybe they are not called Nurses, but they have em.

I always thought that when I would hear "They could not make it as a Dr., so they became a Vet" that that was balderdash.  An M.D. only had to learn one species while a vet must become intimately familiar with many different physiologies.
Around here it's (or at least was) pretty much the opposite, a lot of very smart kids tried getting into vet school and ended up in med school because the openings were so few.  Hope Icey is getting better everyday, our little phantom poodle is expecting her first litter of pups anyday, the wifes already nervous hope it goes ok.

Jeff

She's walking on all fours today, with very little limp, not sure if that's because of the medicine numbing her down, or if she's getting better.  She spent an hour outside with us as we cleared snow from last nights storm and seemed to be pretty normal.

Gary_C

They are called Vet Techs.

And yes, they always said that anyone that flunked anatomy classes in Vet school went on to become a people doctor cause it was easier.

Actually there are more similiarities in species than differences. Course there are reptiles but who cares about them anyway.  :D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doctorb

My understanding is that its very hard to get into vet school now.  Very competitive. 

The reason I  was poking fun at vets is because their fees have gone through the roof, and there's little or no insurance coverage for the pets, so it's out of pocket cash.  Do you know that a vet gets more money performing a ligament reconstruction on a labradors knee that your doctor gets for doing yours?  True!  Any emergency visit for your pet is very expensive, except in Canada!

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ErikC

My sister and Sarah's sister are both Vet Techs. It sure is like being nurses for animals, both the good and the bad. :D
Doctorb is right--Vet school is very hard to get into. It is almost at the point you need to know the right people to make it at the most desired schools. The amount they charge can be staggering, and I have seen very few times there was a "dead cow discount". More likely a disposal fee on the top of everything else :-\
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

beenthere

Likely the staff filling out the tons of paperwork are not as necessary for the vet either.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

Now a short story on this topic ;D

I shoe a horse named Bayley, one of a few trail horses and mules a family here in Trinity County owns. They took him in to a Redding vet for, if I remember right, what turned out to be a case of colic. He had to stay overnight.

At the time they picked Bayley back up, they were presented with a bill, and it included several charges for things that were not discussed before, nor where there any phone calls after they left him. The vet suspected melanoma on Bayley's hip, and they took a biopsy and sent it to be tested. The overall bill was a couple of thousand dollars, only half of that was for the problem they brought him down there for. 

Sandy, the wife, said "What are these other charges, we never authorized any of this, and you never talked to us about it first."

The vet's reply was "We are in the business of saving lives, it isn't about the money."

Dick, the husband said "Well if it's not about the money, I guess you don't mind that we won't be paying that part of the bill"

He did mind, but they left it at that anyway. They never got the lab results of course.

Fast forward about a year. They were keeping an eye on the old horse, wondering if there was ever going to be a problem, and worrying a bit over it. On an overnight trip in the wilderness with their horses, another horseman came by their camp, whose father had been an outfitter in the county for years. They all knew each other, and were visiting and what-not quite a while, when this fellow says-

"Hey, look at that. You got one of my dad's old horses." 

"How do you know that?", they asked.

"Well that's my dad's old brand right there on his hip"

They quit worrying about it after that
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Grandmother used to call the local MD's horse doctors. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

Our vet was out this morning and preg checked about 20 cows.  We are about 20 miles from his office and it took him about an hour.  His bill was $127.50.  He left here to go to stuff a prolapsed uterus back in a cow and will probably get a similar fee for that as he charges by the hour.  His wife is also a vet and does small animal work.  He says she makes several times what he makes,  but he doesn't have to mess with little yapping dogs or their big yapping own ers :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

ErikC

I have heard large animal vets say the same thing to me. Plus, $127.50 is pretty good pay. ;D

SwampDonkey

Not quite as good as $250/hr to fix a GPS. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Wow Jeff, I'm sorry to hear Icey's ailing :'(

I sure know what it's like, I get really excited when I get home and Ollie's there to give me a hug and a kiss, and I can always rely on his face being right THERE when I need a puppy hug...

I hope it's just something that'll work it's way out and the antibiotics will take care of any infection. I'd sure hate to see her sore for long.

Give her a hug from me, willya :)

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Jeff

Icey seems to be better. She is still on medication, but the last 2 days she has shown no signs of being hurt.

asy

Jeff

Texas Ranger

Well, we know who the master is here. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

asy

She's so CUTE!!!!!  :)

GREAT to see her up and about and so happy!

Also go to see "my chair" that I was so comfy in at the Piggy Roast :D

Thanks!

ErikC

Has Icey taken over Jeffs computer and posted human training clips on youtube? ??? ???
Glad you're feeling better Icey. :)

Jeff

I was just watching this last video again, Where I'm trying to get icey to get her cow for me and all of the sudden I feel a lick on my elbow. It was Icey standing there. She had went and got me her cow.  :D

sandhills

Jeff

Tammy had a trip today, she had to haul the Marion Baseball team to Harrison, so she came home for supper and parked the bus in the driveway.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stZG2cW3v0

Magicman

She probably obeys better than many students that ride that bus.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

It's been awhile since I posted anything on the Forum about Scooter. He's still a character and we found out last week that he just loves babies. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQQ4aRmDmfQ

Patty

Well how cute is that!  Scooter wants to play, and the little girl is completely oblivious to him.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Thank You Sponsors!