iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hercules winch what can I say

Started by Wild willy, September 22, 2009, 05:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild willy

This has to do with a post 4 or 5 months ago I have a timberjack 225c and I am haveing the same problem,if my winch is in neutral and the pto is engaged whether in forward or reverse my winch is engaging only way to stop it is the clutch or take out the pto. Checked the fluid and no flow restriction in the valve bank or the brake canister, the only line I have left to check is the line to the clutch plate, if anybody has this figured out please let me no. One more little tid bit had valve bank rebuilt 3 months ago but do need a new spool for the dozer section any ideas thanks wild willy
Timberjack 225c/john deere 640/Clark 665 husky372xp/385xp/288xp
Bill Hibbs

Sawyerfortyish

There is an inner cylinder on the winch and when you pull the valve to let the winch free spool this seperates the clutches and allows it to happen. I have a 230 and the winch on mine wouldn't release. The brake band was released but that inner cylinder was not working right and I couldn't pull the cable out. That cylinder on mine is on the opposite side of the winch from the drive shaft and not the one that works the brake band. It's inside the end of the winch. It is a cup or dish shape much like the cups in a wheel cylinder if you've ever taken one apart only bigger. You have to take the winch off the machine to take this apart. Also the problem may be in the cluthes if there's dirt or grease between them they will stick togeather or if they are warped from heat they may remain in gear and spool the cable in.

Wild willy

Thank you sawyerfortyish I will give it a go,I have one question I never took my winch apart never had too, my winch has a pto so I can take my winch out  even when the trans in in gear.do u no if I can I  take the cover of the side that has the worm gear? If u need more info please let me no thanks wild willy
Bill Hibbs

Sawyerfortyish

It's been a long time since i had it apart. I had lyons rebuild it about 10 yrs ago. Since they are about 3 1/2 hours away I made an apointment and stood and watched them take it apart. I learned a lot. Last time I took it apart and replaced the clutch discs myself. If you have a fax machine call lyons and they will fax you an exploded picture of how the winch comes apart and each part numbered so you can order them. I wish my machine was here ( its on a job) so I could look and see about the worm gear side I think you can just unbolt the side but I'm not sure. but I really think your problem is on the other side where the slave cylinder and clutches is. My winch on the 230 runs all the time I can't take it out of gear. If the PTO can be shut off I haven't ever done it.

Wild willy

I have my parts book and it shows every thing but some one told me to never take the cover off the worm gear side, for got to ask why? My pto sits in front of the worm gear I just pull the lever to take it in or out, it works but real pain I ask about the cover cause leaking gear oil I want to replace the seal like u said I think my problem is on the clutch side but just one more thing on old Jack that has to be done. Thank u for your help let me no if any other advice wild willy
Bill Hibbs

MaineLogger

Take off the winch cover and have someone run the winch in valve. You should be able to see the the clutch piston working.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Wild willy

Well mainlogger I have not had to do much or really any work to my winch in 8 years beside general up keep when u say take the side cover off the winch cover off, you mean the shield? I no dumb ? But like I said never had any prob's seems like the clutch piston is sticking any ideas the prob? I have no idea about the bands in side. Thanks wildwilly
Bill Hibbs

MaineLogger

I meant the top cover.You will be able to watch the piston and pressure plate work with this cover off.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Wild willy

Bill Hibbs

PAFaller

I have a 240 'jack with a gearmatic, and a good friend of mine who also has the same winch came out to help me with mine today. Anyhow, we got chatting about this thread, I forgot your winch was a Hercules, but I explained what I had read and he had dealt with a similar problem. The cause in that case was a bad return line. Best explanation I can relate was that it sucked air and wouldn't relieve the pressure, so that might be something worth investigating. Note that this was a hydraulic gearmatic as well. Some winches use brake fluid, and if yours is a model like that sorry I just made you read everything above without really helping out. Greg
It ain't easy...

Wild willy

Well a few hundred $ got the old winch working found out it was the bands, they were sticking so had to repace the I call them card board but they work my metal one's were a ok just a little brake cleaner good as new. Now I have to watch I don't rip the skidder in half lol.thanks for all the advice wildwilly
Bill Hibbs

Thank You Sponsors!