iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Garden 2020

Started by SwampDonkey, June 27, 2020, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Lettuce, dill weed and basal. We have lots of lettuce and another 10 heads in the main garden for later. I love dill in salad and sandwiches. The basal will go into this year's tomato sauce.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

There be giants.

Cukes, be pickling those up real soon.

Squash a growing.....

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Your squash looks great. Mighty great!!
Cukes are just starting. Had maybe 10 tomatoes too. Corn has just started to tassel. 
Like I said I lost about 3 weeks right at the beginning of planting season.
Oh well, it will make it.
I have a row of basil about 30 feet long. We put ours under crop cover to keep the bugs from eating it before we do.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Cfarm, that's "a ton of basil" as the Aussies would say. ;D Yep, a lot of stuff I start now under the floating fabric. It kept the cucumber beetles off the squash, and when it got large enough I took it off. Then had a few beetles for awhile, but I kept picking them off and squishing them, now we have none at all. We had hardly any potato beetles, would see a couple once and awhile and they got squished along with their eggs to. I have learned that a well watered healthy garden keeps them bugs away when the plants are not under stress. The beets have no leaf spots or bug holes. :)

I think I have 10 squash plants and probably 40 squash on them. Gotta keep at the watering. :)

I'll be picking corn next weekend. The stalks are 7 feet tall now on the tallest ones, maybe a couple inches more. Them posts are 5 and 6 feet high above ground level, not in the ground very deep.;)

Chuck White

I planted a dozen pepper plants this spring (6-bell, 6-Jalapeno), I ended up pulling the bells out a couple of days ago!

They had peppers started (about the size of a large egg) and I noticed that the bottoms of them (about 4 inches from the ground) were turning tan/gray colored, so I just pulled them.

Were they starting to rot, or was this something of a type of disease to peppers?

The Jalapeno's are doing good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Never seen that on my peppers. I've been growing them for 20 years. But I do trim mine up about 4-6 inches too. I want fruit not leaves. ;D  But maybe calcium?? I don't know. I do lay down a piece of black plastic for the peppers. Wet the ground first, don't need to make mud, but wet, lay down the black plastic. I put rocks around the edges to hold the plastic down. I make a small "X" in the plastic and put the peppers plants in the "X". I put more rocks between the plants so the plastic won't blow up in the air and cover the plants when I plant them. My plants get so big, I have to put tomatoes cages around them. The fruit will tip the plants over. I get big woody stalks too, as big as my thumb. The stalks cannot be composted because they are like a stick of wood. You are in the same climate as me, peppers need all the help, heat, that they can get. Helps out on weeds too. I do that with tomatoes too, But don't notice much of a yield difference with the plastic, just no weeds.
I am getting peppers now too. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The peppers I have was given to me, the size of a thumb in height, so they won't be anything. I never got none started this spring. I usually put an old black plastic pot, bottom cut out, put around to make heat and keep from falling over. But yeah, they need heat and water, lots for sure. ;D

Grinding up cukes, and veggies to, today for them pickles. :)

thecfarm

We grow a bunch of different peppers. There is a greenhouse about 15 minutes from us that grows a bunch of peppers. Most time we only get a couple of each kind. The ace we buy by the 6 pack and get about 5-6 of them. They produce right up until frost. Some of the peppers maybe small, golf ball size is Sept, but they get picked and put away. I like peppers plants big, when I plant them. A foot high, if I can find them. With the virus this year, one green house that we like did not open.  :( No foot high ones this year. I have even planted ones that had blossoms on the plants.

SwampDonkey

I usually plant jalapeno, but couldn't get any this year. We was shopping first of June. Green house lady said was sold out 2 weeks ago, not even a tomato. Said to myself, they are all dead now then, had frost first 3 days of June. Even in the 'big' city south of us. :D Got some tomatoes at the store, 2 given to us and I started a lot, even had to cull/weed out lots. Found one ripe on the vine this morning, I suspect lots by next weekend hopefully off some of them fat ones. ;D

mike_belben

Blossom end rot on tomato is typically calcium. Not sure on peppers.  

I learned this year that pepper and bean seeds dont last very long since ive had no sprouts from leftover seeds.  

Swiss chard on the other hand, im growing from 2013 seed.

My cucurbits were pretty sad, but a lot of troubleshooting later i figured out its a lack of bees.  Hand pollination got them pumping out cukes and hanging butternut.   My first red tomatoes are coming in now. Late start on those.  Kale broccoli arugula spinach pumpkins etc are all in for fall.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Aug 6

Fresh picked corn from the garden tonight.

mike_belben

Heck ya.  I hope you boiled em in buttermilk. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Aug 14:

Been into the maters this week. Soon be sauce time again. :)

Squash are doing good, but they sure did get a bit dry this week with 90 degree heat every day. Put 40 gallons on them Friday night, putting more on Sunday. I'm going to have one of them soon. They are the dry winter squash type. 8)

SwampDonkey

Aug 15

The winter squash are getting there.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Made a couple 16 oz jars of spaghetti sauce yesterday morning, home grown, except the salt and sugar, the garlic was fresh local to.

mike_belben

Man i have serious mater envy
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

I'm hope'n for another batch next weekend.This little warm up will ripen up a bushel more, I hope. :)

woodybutcher

The missus and I have the best garden we've ever had in 34 years. Everything in the house is full of jars. Took 80 jars to the shop last weekend. Now she's got the kitchen counter full again. I think another 55 jars. She said a few more and she's done! 

SwampDonkey

You're in it for the long haul. ;D :)

mike_belben

Almost got this kale into the garden 2021 thread!  Harvested today with sleet froze all over it.  High of 28F today. 

Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

mike_belben

Never tried til last night.  Its food but i sure aint makin a smoothie out if it. 
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

Being on a blood-thinner, that's one food I'm not allowed!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on December 18, 2020, 02:02:37 PM
Never tried til last night.  Its food but i sure aint makin a smoothie out if it.
:D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!