iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a generator that has not ran for several years?

Started by GDinMaine, July 06, 2015, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

I'm considering buying a generator that has not been ran in 6 or 7 years.  It was apparently in prime condition when it was put in storage. The seller says it only ran 15-20 hours before switching to whole-house generator.   I do not know if it had any gas in it when stored or weather it was drained of all fuel. Unfortunately the husband - who took care of these things is no longer alive, so I can not ask for details.  What would you guys look out for? If I buy it would it be a reasonable expectation to have to clean or replace the carb and have it running? I am not a small engine whiz so I could use any pointers.  It is made by a reputable manufacturer that is still in business, so I should still be able to get parts if needed. please give me advice.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

sandsawmill14

spray a little ether in the breather and see if it fires if it does worst it could be is a carb kit/cleaning. if you are worried about the gen end plug a drill in and have someone to hold it while you try it. light bulb would work but the drill would be a better test. :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

clww

It will need a carb rebuild, or a new one, for sure. I'd look at the overall condition-does it look like it sat in the weeds or was it stored in the basement? That kind of a look-see. As with all second-hand purchases it's "Buyer Beware". I'd also look it up on-line, or in a store to see what a new one costs. I always go with my gut and have done well for the most part.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gfadvm

You just never know. I bought a LT15 that sat unstarted in the woods for 4 years with gas in it. We drained the old gas, jumped it off the truck battery, and it started right up!!! Your mileage may vary.

easymoney

yes i would put some gas in it and try it. you can't tell it might be fine. i bought an old ditch witch a few years ago that had sat for unknown number of years. i put some gas in it and it started and ran fine the first time i pulled the rope. diesels seem to fare better from sitting. i am driving a vw rabbit diesel that had sat outside for 10 years the doors had not been opened in that time. i put a fresh battery in it and it started up and ran fine.

sawguy21

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on July 06, 2015, 08:40:20 PM
spray a little ether in the breather and see if it fires if it does worst it could be is a carb kit/cleaning. if you are worried about the gen end plug a drill in and have someone to hold it while you try it. light bulb would work but the drill would be a better test. :)
A spritz of gas is a lot better than ether, that stuff is hard on gas engines. If everything works shut it off and let it sit for a day then fire it again. If it still produces power all is good, if not the rotor is not retaining the residual magnetism and needs to be replaced.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Good advice from sawguy21. Some gas will tell a better story and has less potential for damage.

And we've all heard the line "I do ether all the time, and nothing blew up".   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yes, I would buy it.  Change the oil, completely drain and refill the gas tank, and give er a try.  The carb may need disassembling and cleaning, but I would try cranking first. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Whitman

A generator can be remagentized without replacing the rotor. Plug in a standard 1/2 or 3/8 drill to the generator and with it running, powder the drill with another drill to establish a field in the first . This will usally  cause the field to form the magnets back in the gen unit. Upon occasions the drill supplying the power will have to be reversed.  Check for rust in the fuel tank.  Whitman

sawguy21

That works as long as the generator is kept running. However, once shut off, the residual magnetism will dissipate in a faulty rotor meaning it needs to be flashed each use. I have no idea why some do this.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Whitman

Have not had it fail on a good rotor with good diodes and caps . lasted many years whitman

Magicman

Some generator engines get their ignition from the battery while starting and then a relay switches the ignition over to the generator output.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BradMarks

Personal experience.  Mine is just a Coleman - who knows who actually makes it?.  It goes years at a time w/o being used. If I forget to drain it(gas) when put away, I do it when I bring it back out for use.  Fresh gas, always starts, and easy.  Certainly not the best way to store engines, but hey. I have a Stihl saw that sat dry for 17 years(true). Put new gas in, primed the filter/carb, fired right up.

Thank You Sponsors!