iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doin' things dummies shouldn't do......

Started by Papa, April 24, 2014, 12:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Papa,

It all depends on how much you want to haul - don't need a lot of HP to do it - just low gearing.  Hauling more than 1,000 lbs, you don't want to be going too fast!  I watched a 3 part video on building one from a lawn tractor rear end.  He build it kind of tall (top heavy) and the standard lawn tractor turf tires - just slipped a lot.  After using it, I think my DR is a little tall - I would build it a deck 4 or 5" lower.  The cement block weights are really needed when empty to climb a hill, though.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Papa

Still wondering exactly how to connect a log structure to a stone structure...I got some good feedback last week by some of you, but I still couldn't grasp the concept , so i thought maybe I could show an example of what I am going for. In this picture there is a stone structure and log structure how do you think they are ajoined ? If anyone could draw a diagram of what they are saying I would probably understand better what you mean. Thanks for your time ...

Jim_Rogers

I don't think they are joined. They are just adjacent to each other. You can see the log wall ends right next to the stone. So that is what is holding up the roof.
As mentioned the logs are going to settle. The stone is not.
You can't fasten one to the other. You'll need to do more research and find someone, like a stone or brick mason who can give you some advice about this.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Hilltop366

Would it work better to put stone on the lower layer and log on top of the stone?

Perhaps that would not be what you are looking for but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thank You Sponsors!