iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manually rotating logs 12 foot peavys?

Started by opticsguy, February 25, 2012, 11:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: opticsguy on February 29, 2012, 05:53:52 AM
spalting maple.   Should I say spalting or rotting? 

How about "decorative decay"  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on February 29, 2012, 07:14:52 AM
Quote from: opticsguy on February 29, 2012, 05:53:52 AM
spalting maple.   Should I say spalting or rotting? 

How about "decorative decay"  ???
If your selling, "spalting".  If buying, "rotting".  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

The turner on my first bandmill was like this.

I don't have any pics of it , but on my first circle mill I had an engine hoist set up behind the mill and a hook from a cant hook on a short chain that hooked on the end of the lift. it worked real well also.
Hang in there. The problems you are having made me change some things at my mill as well and change is never easy. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Handy Andy

My mill is like Kellogg's, and it came with a small 12v winch.  When I got a big log on the mill, it would turn it part way, and stop.  Couldn't turn it with the cant hook, so bought a bigger winch.  It would just rotate them easy.  Then I got hold of a really big heavy log and bent the tubing on the bottom of the frame, luckily not of the mill frame, just the attachment.  So now I look to hooking a chain onto it before using the winch.  Still works, just a little closer to the mill.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Magicman

Wow Paul, that thing turned your tractor up on it's rear wheels.   ;D

kelLOGg

My loader turner is 2nd generation - the 1st was a 2.5" vertical pipe w/ a  3" one to pivot. Loading a big hickory bent it so I went w/ a 4" vertical pipe w/ a 4.5" one for pivoting. It is a monster that will tilt the entire mill and I haven't bent it yet. The most recent addition to it is a motorized slide that will slide the whole assembly in (as into the travel position) to rotate a big cant. This makes the pull angle straight up so the cant is not pulled into the squaring arm. Make it much easier to rotate big ones because I am not pulling into the sq arm.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

paul case

:( 
It could be that I am still mostly computer illiterate. ::)  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Barney II

Hi KeiloGg, I was having the same problem with my uprights---took two pcs of 3 inch pvc about two feet long and put those over the top of the uprights and once turned I remove the pvc, even grease the front sides of pvc and it goes real good.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

hunterbuild

Thanks for the pvc idea, so simple and will work so good. 8)

kelLOGg

I'm surprised PVC holds up to the pressure of the log/cant with a square arm inside. I thought of using removable steel pipes over the arms but didn't want to carry more "tools" to a job.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Barney II

I know what you mean---found some older waste line that has a 1/4 inch wall and so far works real good.  I just put them on the uprights when I move the mill to another site.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

hunterbuild

I put some 2 1/2 PVC on today. Almost as good as hydraulics. :D :D  Thanks again for the idea.

bozzaa69

This is the way to go. Chain turner. All home made.

Thank You Sponsors!