iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Flowering Plant That You Can ID...Solved!!.....Maple-Leaf Viburnum

Started by WDH, June 05, 2007, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Who? Michal A Dirr? Becuase The Minicatt isn't much help! ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on June 09, 2007, 04:38:03 PM
I took the pic thinking it was a maple-leaf viburnum, but there were some unlobed leaves on this year's flush of new growth.  There were definitely some 3-lobed leaves on the plant attached to the flowers in the photo.

So there were 3-lobed leaves on the plant, but you only showed us pics of the unlobed leaves? smiley_furious  That's almost as sneaky as showing only the terminal leaflet of a hickory leaf!  smiley_policeman smiley_smash ban_smiley :D :D :D

You're probably right, though...just an atypical Viburnum acerifolium!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

In my defense, it was the inflourescense that I was trying to show ::).  I was planning to show the pic with the 3-lobed leaves in the background as the next clue.  The unlobed leaves did not bother me at the time because I didn't know any better.  Know I know that they confuse the situation.  The good thing is that I learned something new ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Taking into consideration where you were at, WDH, it might help to recognize that snakes, plants...and humans, take on genetic foundations which the books haven't caught up to.   ;)

Certain liberties have tendency to be taken full advantage of.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WDH

You said it Tcsmpsi, I didn't ;D (although I would have if I had thought of it first :D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

On a related note, I found some chalk maples this weekend that disagreed with the convergent tip theory that I've been peddling to my students for the last three years ::).  The majority of the leaves on the plants looked like they should, but there were a few dissenters in the group to keep me on my toes.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

One again proves the theory that, most of the time, there is no one sure-fire magic characteristic that is alway 100% certain in ID'ing a plant.  It is better to look at several characteristics and surround the plant than to bore in on only one thing  ;).

SwampDonkey

If you want to test your patience on leaf shape, explain to your students the general shape of rattlesnake root Prenanthes spp.  ;D That must have one of the most variable shaped leaf a plant can come up with.  8) :D

But, generally it's sagitate.  Sometimes lobed (2-6), sometimes not. Sometimes coursely serrate, sometimes not. ;D I find them mostly in alder thickets in organic soil.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on June 11, 2007, 07:30:54 PM
One again proves the theory that, most of the time, there is no one sure-fire magic characteristic that is alway 100% certain in ID'ing a plant.  It is better to look at several characteristics and surround the plant than to bore in on only one thing  ;).

Well said.  That's the most important message that I've been trying to get across for the last 3 years. :)

Thank You Sponsors!