iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Im new and I want a new mill

Started by m wood, December 17, 2012, 07:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m wood

Im new here but like so many newbies I have been watching for a while.  Love the brotherhood among the members.  What a respectful and informative place! "Good job" to FF and and its members and moderators.  Probably will wait till tax time to buy.  I have looked at many used and new mills.  I will have to "settle for now" on a modest 26" to 28" mill.  Trying to keep my initial cost closer to 4k than 5k.  Has anyone ever heard of a manufacturer agree to a new mill sale without the power plant.  I have a strong 13 hp Tecumseh side shaft.  I can almost afford norwoods ml26 with a honda 9.  but would rather have 13 hp.  woodmizers lt15 is impressive but still out of reach for me...and I cant stand waiting much longer.  I have 50 acres of mixed hards and a big "ol patch of Norway spruce.  I will be working the mill to its max capacity every weekend to fit into a niche market I have found locally, supplementing my 40 hr wk job.

And I am only 1/2 hour from Norwood in Buffalo.  Mike are you listening?  ::)

Thanks All

Mark     
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

m wood,

Welcome aboard,  you gonna love having a mill :D

you north or south of Buffalo??

go to this site for whole or parts to build around your powerplant

http://www.linnlumber.com/

Best
DGDrls

m wood

Hi ther DGDrls,

Linn looks like some strong equipment, and I like the log cap of 30" on the smaller unit.  The full carriage built but not assembles is a possibility, but im not into the sanding and painting part...assembling, no prob and I guess thats why the Norwood doesnt intimidate.  I know its apples and oranges, but the ml 26 base price would probably suit my immediate needs better/sooner.  You think if I got the 9hp and put it on a log splitter and mounted my 13, i might be voiding some warranty on the frame.  Har har.  They have sepperate warranties, i think!
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

m wood

Oops, you asked a question too, dgdrls,

I am east of buf not far off the 90.  Town of Batavia
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

moandrich

try a used mill.  Put your motor on that.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

dgdrls

Well I'm not certain on that,  is the old Techumseh the same layout and mount as a current B&S or Kohler??
for about $500 save-up the coin and get an engineered package and put the 13HP to work elsewhere.
You may want to wait to see it Norwood has a sale?  maybe you get the upgrade at little or no cost??

yes Batavia, nice area!!

DGDrls

dboyt

Put the 13 hp on the splitter and add a 4 way wedge.  That way, you'll have more time to run the sawmill.  Maybe Norwood has a demo unit.  Sound like you're close enough that it wouldn't be too much of a drive to go pick it up.  I've got the MX34 sawmill, and been extremely pleased with it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, m wood.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

m wood

Thanks MM,  thanks Dboyt.  You guys are humbling me.  MM i think of you as a FF celeb.  dboyt, I just read your  article on norwoods site from the link posted in here.  Cool.  Your suggestion is a good one (about using the 13 on the splitter) then seeing them about a demo or something on sale.  Norwood keeps coming up, quite frankly cuz my sweetheart has been my partner in the woods for some years now, and she has finally caught the sawyering bug.  she is way impressed with the norwood, and that being said, their closeness has to be worth something down the long haul when service and resharpening comes into play, etc etc.
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

shelbycharger400

Welcome

A few of us have built our own mills.

I have a chain bar mill with a 17 hp kohler.

mikeb1079

welcome mr wood.  this seems like the right time to plug an ez boardwalk jr.  i've not run one but was very very close to buying one before i built my mill.  i was really impressed with the specs and price point (4k).  doesn't hurt to check it out.   8)

edit:  i just looked at norwood's site and they list the ml26 with a 13hp for 4.5k so if you are leaning towards the norwood i'd say just get the bigger motor and save your tecumseh for another project.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Quote from: m wood on December 17, 2012, 08:52:02 PMThanks MM, i think of you as a FF celeb.

Thanks, but no status for me.  I am just an ole guy that loves to crack open a log and share the experience.  The Forestry Forum is a wonderful tool for sharing ideas and also learning from the mistakes, trials, and errors of other members.  Sometimes we even talk about food.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark.

Don't shy away from used mills, lots of them out there at a good deal.

You could generally expect to save 1/3 to 1/2 by buying used instead of new!

Good luck in your search.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

Welcome. pull up a stump and chat a while.

I think many mill manufacturers would sell you a mill minus the motor if you want it that way. However what if your motor didn't exactly meet the specs for the mill you buy. Then you have to have the right sized pulley. This may or may not pose a problem but it would be kinda scary to me to spend money for a new mill that
I had to fix before I could use it. Be careful out there.

I havnt run a norwood but I did look at them real serious when I was in the market for my first mill. Then I shyed away because I found EZ Boardwalk. I sure liked it and it was so easy to learn on. All I had to do to be sawing was get it home and in 15 minutes I was making lumber.

Enjoy the hunt. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the Forum Mr Wood  ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

I reckon your going the rite way about it starting with a smaller mill but I do agree with the boys that you should keep that motor for something else Splitter,Chop/Slab saw ect

You are lucky with the choice you have in the States with small mills as there are alot well built ones there to chose from and you could not go wrong with any of the Forestry Forums supporting sawmill companys mills in that price range  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Norwood,EZ Boardwalk ,Baker,Woodmizer,Timberking & Cooks all have good reputations and stand by what they build  ;)

I might have made the choice more confusing but ill say this if you & your wife are leaning toward the Norwood now your more than likely going to end up with that mill when you go to buy one  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

Quote from: m wood on December 17, 2012, 07:19:03 PM
I have 50 acres of mixed hards and a big "ol patch of Norway spruce.  I will be working the mill to its max capacity every weekend to fit into a niche market I have found locally, supplementing my 40 hr wk job.   

m wood,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are ready to go. What kind of market you are selling too? How are you getting the wood out? About how many hours will you be running this mill on weekends?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

I got ahold of Edward at ez boardwalk and he will knock $500 off the jr if you don't want he motor.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Fil-Dill

Call EZ boardwalk. He can tell you if there is a Jr. size mill in your area and you can go take some measurements of your own.
EZ boardwalk 40

m wood

what was i thinking!?  I can be soo cheap sometimes i get in the way of myself.  Plain old not a good idea to use the engine on a new mill (or even a used one for that matter).  thanks for all the advice here.  Guys, she really does want Norwood, and what Momma wants...(so the saying goes).  Someone asked about my support equip.  Dodge Ram 4x4 plow truck, Cat 931b loader, 92 4x4 nissan stump jumper with the bed ripped off and 1/8 plate flat bed (with no brakes) ((radio and heater work good)) and its the dedicated weld unit with the Lincoln ac/dc 225 welder chained on back.  lets see,, what else; 16' flatbed, stihl saw, (her) poulan saw, and all the hand stuff.  Then theres the woodshop: rustic furniture tenon cutters, planers sanders, blah blah blah. 

I am still looking serious at ez Boardwalk, and of course used at the right place, time, $$ could trump everything else.  Thanks everyone!
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

dgdrls

Chuck is right on the $$ you can look to a used unit and get more Mill

DGDrls

m wood

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 18, 2012, 03:00:55 PM
I got ahold of Edward at ez boardwalk and he will knock $500 off the jr if you don't want he motor.
I sure appreciate you going the extra measure for me hackberry jake.  I am def gonna consider all the new info.  I better not try to tune my motor to a new mill tho.  thanx again
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

dgdrls

Wrench in the works :D  Any reason you don't look for a circle Mill??
Based on your support equipment response I'm thinking you have room???

DGDrls

fat olde elf

Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

mad murdock

Welcome m wood! Have you tripped through the listings on the for sale thread here or the sawmill exchange?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!