iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Im new Im new i dont know what to dooo

Started by RexBandit, March 30, 2013, 05:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RexBandit

Hello. Like the title says I'm new to sawmilling. I've always want my own mill ever since I was a little kid and grew up in the woods cutting firewood on my dads land. I've finally talked my wife into letting me buy one but the comprise would be that I start out with one of the smaller cheaper models so after much research I've decided to buy a Lumber Smith. It's in my price range and I'm skilled enough with a welder that I think I can make me a very nice metal track system. I plan on ordering the mill some time this coming week. Is there anything I should know or is there another better mill out there that I missed before I make the purchase. Any help will be greatly appriceaded.
I'm new so I can use all the help I can get.

m wood

Welcome rexbandit. I just looked up the site for the lumbersmith, I remember researching them befor.  the Elite is nearly 2k by itself.  IMO, (in my opinion) that mill leaves something to be desired.  But the real question is; how much lumber are you expecting to saw and for what purpose?  If you could fab out a track system you are heading the right direction, but I personally would want to change the wheels as well, IMO.

Many here may suggest you consider more mill by looking to some used options to get close to your price range.
good luck rex, and again, welcome aboard.
mark 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

RexBandit

Well the plan is to one day have a "Big Boy" mill that I can put to work on the weekends and hopefully make a little extra cash with.  Problem now is just convincing my wife that.  I've been slowly remodeling our house and been driving almost 100 miles round trip to buy ruff sawed lumber from a sawmill. The wife loves the whole rustic look it gives the house so I used that as an excuss to get a mill. I told her I could just saw all of our own lumber seeing how we have land with lots of timber and I have all the tools need EXCEPT a mill. After much "debating" she finally agread to let me get one and the Lumber Smith is the cheapest and best "for its price" mill I can find. Any used mills are way to far away making shipping cost bust my small budget. So I'm planning on using the Lumber Smith as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

thecfarm

RexBandit,welcome to the forum. I looked at sawmills for probably 10 years before I brought one,all with out the help of a computer. I went to shows and places that sold them. I have no idea about the Lumbersmith.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

It sounds like a good plan then rex.  I also have the standing natural resource so it was a must have for me and my wife as well(i mean my wife and I :)).  if you understand the need for future mods, and you both love the rustic feel of rough-cut,  then by all means, quit the 100 mile round trip immediately. It feels good to make a decision and move forward with plans, doesnt it?  Keep us posted on your progress and happy Easter!
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, RexBandit.

I like the idea of some of the younger generation taking an interest in sawmilling.  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum RexBandit. Good luck with your project!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF,  great group here.

I suggest you reach-out to Redleg before you purchase.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=45507.0

DGDrls

bandmiller2

Welcome Rex,its false economy to cheap out on a mill.A brand name mill can always be resold at little loss if you loose intrest or want to trade up.If you have much building to do buy it now not after you have bought most of the lumber. Read old posts here their has been volumes written on this subject. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

If you are looking to make some money on the side, the Lumbersmith is too small and light duty.  I suggest that you look at the sponsors on the left for additional options.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Hello    RexBandit, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I well understand budgets, wife concerns, and also the economics of producing your own lumber.  The "cheapest" or the "only one that you can afford" may not be enough reason to buy anything.  That unit may be fine in a remote location for flattening logs for a log cabin, etc. but there is much more to sawing lumber than simply slabbing a log.

Used entry level quality name brand sawmills can be bought in the  ~$3,000 range. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

RexBandit, welcome to the forum.
I researched the Lumbersmith due to that's what I could afford and pretty much felt that I would have to design and build the entire track system with backstops and dogs before I would be able to cut a square board. I ended up passing it up and got a small mill elsewhere that goes for $600 more new, that comes complete, and no shipping.
I would recomend finding someone with one, that has had one for awhile, and ask their opinion.
Anything can be made to work, you just have to figure out what you want to be doing with it in a few years, not today. Just my opinion.
Take your time and research things, and have a great day.
Allan

RexBandit

Hay guys ya don't have to convince me on gettin a bigger mill I'm all for it. Lol. But I think my wife still don't belive that I can go cut down a tree in our pasture and turn it into wonderful slabs of wood even though I've been on her about it for the past four or so years. I know that the Smith is a light weight mill and I don't mind fabricating the track that shouldn't be to hard.  Then when I'm able to upgread I plan on giving the mill to my ole man. It's really more his speed. Lol

Dgdrls. Redlegs created a link on the Lumber Smith web site to this one. It's how I discoverd this wonderful place so I still need to thank him for that.

Nomad

Welcome!  Here's a suggestion.  Why don't you contact someone near you with a bandmill and see if he'd mind you and your wife watching him work for an hour or so?  That should give her a sense of what you could do with a mill.  It would make it easier to point out the difference between a really light hobby mill and a bit more serious machine, too.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

strunk57

Welcome RexBandit, One thing you done right was joining FF, these guys are amazing and relentless with Advice. I am a NOOB also. I Ended up buying a Norwood lumberlite lightly used for 2k. I love it but still learning to use it. Look around for a little bit you might find an amazing deal.

I dont know how close you are to tulsa but i found this.

(craigslist link removed by administrator)
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a nice looking mill. But the 6.5 HP worries me. You want milling to be fun. There's not a lot of fun in a 6.5 HP engine.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

m wood

certainly can understand the constraints your under!  budget, wife, etc.  I searched for 6 years myself.  I got serious about a decision 6 months ago and bought it about 6 weeks ago.  Thought about it thru many late nights.  My wife has still only watched 1 sawyer and bandmill operate in person...me and ours.  But for some months she watched my seriousness never waiver, and looking over my shoulder at many many utubes and other videos, she actually got hooked BAD right along with me.  I shared with her all the options and oportunities the right mill could provide us.  But, she will tell you, that I never stop thinking, going, doing so she believed in the idea after a time...I'm forever grateful.

patience my friend! I hope speeding up a purchase is not one of your constraints, cuz I finally found a mill capable of 28" logs up to 18' lenghths with 11 used blades and I only drove 45 minutes to get it.  I'm in New York and was ready to drive to MO or NC or TN to get one.  Paid $2500 cash and could"ve probably negotiated down BUT I was too excited and just forked it over...absolutely NO regrets.
I would bet I could use it for 4 more years and get what I paid for it!
Good luck RexBandit...Is your head spinning from all the input yet! :) :) :D
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

OlJarhead

I run the WoodMizer LT10 with the 7hp motor (Option to upgrade to 10hp).

At 3500 with 15 extra blades, delivered it's not really that much more and you won't have to buy metal to make the bed etc.  In the end you aren't out much more then you would be building a bed etc for the one you're thinking of but you get a top brand mill that WILL produce a lot of lumber for you, for years to come.

Can't beat buying a top quality brand and perhaps that's how you sell it to the wife ;)  Just explain that you were hoping to do the $2k mill but by the time you did all the work to get it milling it would cost nearly what it would to by the $3.5k name brand machine.

My wife was a hard sell until I showed her that the $5K I planned to pay for paneling would more then cover the cost of the mill which would produce the paneling and so much more.

Now look where I am! lol
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

RedLeg

It also matters what you intend to do with it... my "non-big boy"  ;) mill works for me and where I am located and didn't cost so much that when I don't use it for months at a time that I feel bad about it.  Get the right tool for the right job... I don't saw for anyone else so no one is looking over my shoulder wanting me to go faster.

Set it up correctly, leveled & aligned with a sharp blade, it will cut as good as any other mill similarly operated... just not as fast or as large  ;D.  If the corporate work-life balance would accommodate, I'd love to go buy an LT15 GO and do portable milling in the DC area (and give DR Buck someone to pass off his "short logs/one log" work to) but it won't fit in my two car garage. :(

Service and support from the folks at Lumber Smith has always been great... that being said, like with any tool, if you try to use it for things or in ways it was not intended to be used for, you will always be disappointed.  Your needs should dictate your purchase.
Leif
Retired U.S. Army
2010 Lumber Smith Elite and Track Kit
Shopsmith Mark 7 PowerPro

beenthere

QuoteHay guys ya don't have to convince me on gettin a bigger mill I'm all for it. Lol. But I think my wife still don't belive that I can go cut down a tree in our pasture and turn it into wonderful slabs of wood even though I've been on her about it for the past four or so years.

If you are butting heads with your wife, then solve that problem first.

Nuff' said.  (the suggestion to get her to see some mills sawing lumber is a good one IMO )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

RexBandit

What are ya's opeinion on the one thats for sale in the Craig list. Would it be a better option??  It won't take as big of logs but is a name brand one and seems to be better built.

Kingcha

I don't know much about the Hudson, but what ever you do don't sent money.  Pay on delivery.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

hunterbuild

I'm still happy with my Harbor Freight saw. I see someone got one for less than the $1700 I paid. 

RexBandit

Well guys I'm not gonna tell ya what kinda deal i had to make with the devil to pull this off but theres a really good chance that this super excited okie will be ordering him a new Timber King1220. It's the mill that I've been begging four for the past several years now.

Thank You Sponsors!