iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3120 for milling? **Bought one!!**

Started by mmartone, November 30, 2013, 08:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

I'm watching some auctions for a large saw. As the title asks, only 13 minutes left 075/76 better or 3120 for milling?
I'm thinking 3120 just because of parts availability. Thanks
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

mad murdock

For me it would depend on the price.  I like to get the most cc's for the least $$  :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jhellwig

At leased with the 3120 it is a current model. So parts should be easier to get.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

Ianab

If the price was the same, the 3120.

Slightly bigger, newer (still a current model for parts), and has the new goodies like better AV and a chain break. Better if you end up using it as a normal chainsaw sometimes.

But the 075 would still make a good milling saw if the price was right. Being older and without the modern safety features, it should be a lot cheaper.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mmartone

Well I have a 372xp with 32" bar so I hope I dont need a bigger saw. The 3120 should be 90% or more for milling. Thanks and I guess I'm still searching.

AdkStihl

You'd need to buy stock in Loctite if you ran an 075/076 for extended periods of time
J.Miller Photography

celliott

Quote from: AdkStihl on December 01, 2013, 04:26:55 PM
You'd need to buy stock in Loctite if you ran an 075/076 for extended periods of time

:D
I've heard they are shakers, like to lose parts.
Got my eye on an 076 AV pro, guy wants way too much IMO, saws a bit rough. Maybe he will accept my lower offer, we'll see.
Been looking for a big saw for milling for awhile now.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Ianab

Quote from: AdkStihl on December 01, 2013, 04:26:55 PM

To reattach your arms?  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

I have milled with my 075 and stock 404 cahin it came with.  It does vibrate, but I think alot of it has to do with the chain setup.  A rippping chain, properly sharpened, will dampen out a lot of the vibration.  most of the vibration i experience, even with the Husky while milling comes from my hand on the push bar on the Alaskan Mill.  Not so much from the saw back handle.  I use impact mechanics gloves, the kind made for use with an impact air wrench.  They have shock absorbing gel inserts in the palm and fingers, and they really cut down on vibration induced fatigue.  A nice accessory, especially if you are doing a lot of milling.  Vibration is worse on wider cuts. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mmartone

Well I'm not looking for a saw anymore!  8) 8) 8) Bought a 3120 out of Texas this morning and its already on the way here for delivery wednesday. I told UPS to hold for pickup so I can go get it in the morning... Now I need a 60" bar for it, anybody? I found one on CL and there was a guy in front of me and he got it!%$^&* I talked to another guy this morning who has a solid tipped one, how will that be milling? Also said since its a solid tip I could used 404 or 3/8, is that true? He quoted me $70 per loop ripping chain, hows that sound?

Thank You Sponsors!