iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut Oak

Started by scleigh, November 28, 2015, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

I brought a load of chestnut oak home from my uncles farm and had intended to cut it for firewood.

After looking at the growth rings and color of the wood , I'm considering sawing it on the mill.

Any one ever saw any? Would it be better for firewood?

dustyhat

Sawed lots of it, around here buyers will put it right along with white oak flooring. and it dos make fair firewood.

YellowHammer

It's a desirable wood, classed as a white oak, but not waterproof.  It's good for everything but boats. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

purple otter

I would mill any that you can. I love it. I brought a trailer load home today too. It saws well ,works well with shrp tools and finishes well. It is one of my favorites,and it smells nice too. Enjoy !
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

scleigh

Thanks for the advice. I'll buck the logs to length, seal the ends and put'em on the mill

kelLOGg

I milled some for a friend who got logs from a reclaimed barn. He is a master woodworker and his dining room table proves it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

DMcCoy

You eastern guys and your extensive choice of hardwoods. I am envious. :(

mesquite buckeye

There is cool stuff out west too. You just have to look for it.

;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

scsmith42

Chestnut white oak us my favorite species to quartersawn. From the looks of your photo you have some good qs candidates on that trailer.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ga Mtn Man

I've sawed quite a bit of it and it does indeed make some very nice q'sawn lumber.  It does seem to me to be more prone to surface checking than other white oaks.  Has anyone else noticed that?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!