iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new epa regs for wood burners

Started by snowstorm, March 15, 2015, 10:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

on the local news they asked someone from the maine dep about them. he said he was disapointed with the epa. said the rules were to restrictive and would cause hardship for people that relay on wood to heat with. it sounded like there were few new stoves that will meet the new regs and the wood must be dry

THUNDER BEAST

Restrictions on wood stoves is ridiculous period. One small forest fire puts out more smoke than all of them in use to date. Here we go again with more restrictions being put on us. My brother sells wood stoves and told me if I want a non regulated model I have just days to get one ordered.

trapper

I sent a message to 2 of my state reps to ask them to support a state bill to not enforce the EPA regs in wi.  Got a reply from senator Gudex saying he supported rep Craigs bill.  He also sent me a copy of a letter to US senator Tammy Baldwin concerning the EPA regs signed by34 of our state senators and representators.    It stated the hardships the regs would put on many of the states residents.  Also this spring 38 members of the wi legislature sent a letter of concern to the EPA with no response.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

landscraper

Quote from: snowstorm on March 15, 2015, 10:03:35 AM
he said he was disapointed with the epa. said the rules were to restrictive and would cause hardship for people

Sadly, I don't believe hardship to a taxpaying citizen is of any concern whatsoever to the EPA.  Maybe if the head of the EPA had to cut, split and stack her own firewood to stay warm this winter instead of relying on countless untold energy workers to mine or drill it out of the ground and then pipeline it to the electric plant or refinery so that heat was just a button on her thermostat, then she would be more sensitive to the hardship her agency is creating for simple Americans who use wood heat as a simple and economical way to keep their houses warm.  What's next, a ban on ceiling fans and window screens in the summer? 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

boilerman101

Regardless if it makes sense or not the new EPA ruling has been finalized in the Federal Registry today. Here is a link to the final ruling:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/03/16/2015-03733/standards-of-performance-for-new-residential-wood-heaters-new-residential-hydronic-heaters-and

Bottom line manufactures can only build non phase 2 qualified furnaces through May 15, 2015 with a sell through period through the end of the year. Some companies saw this coming and have qualified models available that do burn cleaner and much less wood. Yes the wood needs to be dry but seasoned wood does burn cleaner and more efficiently in any traditional wood burning device as well. My guess is that these companies will survive and will build qualifying furnaces at prices that the market can bear. Small engine, truck engine and diesel engine manufactures have learned to deal with EPA requirements for years and will in years to come, much as many other industry manufactures have and the public adapts. Does not mean we have to like it, but it seems to now be the way of life. The noise about states not enforcing the new regs is probably more about political posturing than reality. The manufactures will be monitored by the Fed and I'm guessing will be "made an example of" if they try to push the issue past that manufacture date. The EPA was probably pushed throughout the process by individuals that have an agenda against a whiff of wood smoke in the air, based on many anti-wood burning sites you can find on the net, rather than "big oil" companies. I'm also guessing these anti's would be only to pleased to blow the whistle on an offending manufacture or offending user for that matter. If someone wants the old style outdoor wood furnace they should buy it while they still can before they are sold out and get grandfathered in. I've burned both the old style Classic and now the newer phase 2 Eclassic and think "both" are great machines. I quickly learned to burn the gasser and can't be more pleased with the wood savings. Sorry this comment got very lengthy.

Southside

Yes the other mfg have adapted, but we pay the price.  With the Tier 4 diesel engine requirements a 2014 Gleener combine was $20,000 more than a 2013 - and all of that was for the emission requirements, the machines were no different otherwise. 

Meanwhile as the EPA releases these new regs on on how the serfs will stay warm, Air Force One flies from DC to California just for a yuck yuck with Jimmy Kimmell and at the same time FLOTUS files from DC to California on a separate plane to chat with Ellen.  I wonder just how many old fashioned wood stoves those it would take to equal the carbon output of those adventures.

I am going to need a new boiler here in a year or two and figure I will just build my own when the time comes. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gary_C

Apathy

The EPA has determined there is a cure for your feelings of depression and/or schizophrenia. Just go to your doctor and get some drugs and learn to deal with your thoughts of frustration. Or just get over it.   ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

leonz

Lets clarify a few things,

The tier four emission standards are there to
reduce the cancer causing pollutants in Diesel Exhaust
and wood smoke.

The folks that have forest burners can use a water scrubber to
eliminate the soot and smoke and just have steam coming out the stack.

The other thing is burning a small hot fire and feeding it slowly over time
allowing it to stay very hot while burning. Adding lots of firebrick aids in
holding heat and keeping a hot burn.

You can also purchase catalytic converters for any non compliant engine either diesel
or gas. I put a catalytic converter on the commercial log splitter I owned previously
because the fumes made me sick from day one.

With a properly maintained engine the catalytic converter will only produce
carbon dioxide and water when the engine is operating 

THUNDER BEAST

The epa regs on the wood stoves are for residential only not the commercial units that my brother sells, hows that work?

Southside

Quote from: leonz on March 17, 2015, 01:23:53 AM

and wood smoke.

You can also purchase catalytic converters for any non compliant engine either diesel
or gas. I put a catalytic converter on the commercial log splitter I owned previously

Just adding a Cat will not get you Tier 4 or CARB compliant.  Now its DPF injection / regeneration which consumes additional fuel and the whole urea injection mess. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Ironically in the news today is a story that the EPA is spending $$ to develop a blue tooth monitor to be used on showers in Motels so the office can monitor individual water usage in rooms with the stated intent of "changing our behavior".....

Agenda by fiat.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Just put a timer or flow meter on the hot water line, which shuts off after so many minutes or gallons.

That would be a motel to avoid staying at, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

The EPA and the fools are killing the country and jobs. I  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Roger2561

Believe it or not, the EPA is heading up a study to see if it's feasible to control the particulate emissions that are coming from BBQ grills.  Yup, BBQ grills!  See below. 

The EPA is funding a $15,000 University of California-Riverside study to look at the particulate emissions you breathe when grilling over an open flame.  Along with the drip tray, the emission removal system includes the use of a "secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method," according to study.

Just when you think you've heard it all they come out with another lame brain money wasting study.   

Roger
Roger

pabst79

The EPA has an agenda, and without oversight they have/will wreak havoc on the working class, and they won't lose any sleep, you can bet the farm on that!  >:( >:(
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/17/epa-burning-constitution-carbon-rules-scholar-says/
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

4x4American

Quote from: Southside logger on March 16, 2015, 11:24:24 PM
Yes the other mfg have adapted, but we pay the price.  With the Tier 4 diesel engine requirements a 2014 Gleener combine was $20,000 more than a 2013 - and all of that was for the emission requirements, the machines were no different otherwise. 

Meanwhile as the EPA releases these new regs on on how the serfs will stay warm, Air Force One flies from DC to California just for a yuck yuck with Jimmy Kimmell and at the same time FLOTUS files from DC to California on a separate plane to chat with Ellen.  I wonder just how many old fashioned wood stoves those it would take to equal the carbon output of those adventures.

I am going to need a new boiler here in a year or two and figure I will just build my own when the time comes.

That's right!  I, too, plan to build my own when the time comes.  These epa oppressors need to go.
Boy, back in my day..

Jhenderson

Quote from: leonz on March 17, 2015, 01:23:53 AM

and wood smoke.

Yea right. And alcohol a is good additive for gasoline.
Funny how people without the facts always have opinions.

SPIKER

I posted about the EPA wood burner regs over a year ago and was practically attacked at this and the tractor site TBN the non belivers thought I was kidding and the greenies were all about calling me names and being a chicken little how EPA was taking over.    Well now after BBQ grills.   I LIKE WOOD SMOKE on my food when I make my syrup and in the fireplace to stay warm...

These Gov Agencies are all 3 letter out of control leftist communist controlled right here in USA.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Peter Drouin

:D :D :D God made me and fire, I don't think God would give me cancer from smoke. Unless maybe I put my head over the fire.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

spyder68

Logging logginglogging

well they better go after everyone making maple syrup then too!!!!

BBQ regulations...lol

if they ban stoves , when I need a new one ill just build my own and burn nothing but tires!!!!

Corley5

Methane collection systems on cows and dust suppression systems on tillage equipment  are next.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JJ

Then emissions regs on gunpower, with black powder being banned.  ::)

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Southside

Quote from: Corley5 on April 09, 2015, 06:01:16 PM
Methane collection systems on cows and dust suppression systems on tillage equipment  are next.

You are more accurate than you think. There have already been proposals for methane taxes on cattle and dust restrictions on tillage. They are out of their test tube meat eating minds.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!