iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gluing and alignment problems

Started by D._Frederick, November 22, 2010, 11:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I am building a piece of furniture from plans in one of the woodworking magazines. Some of  the fame joints require both glue and screwing. I fit and clamp parts together, then drill pilot holes for screws, drill through both pieces. Then I glue and screw parts together.

After glue is set, I find that I am out of alignment by +or - 1/32 inch. What do you do to keep parts from slipping ?     

metalspinner

D.

These clamps hold the frames flush with each other while screwing.  They are very usful and  available through Lowes, I believe.

http://www.kregtool.com/Clamping-Prodlist.html
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

Caution that you do not use excessive amounts of glue. Thin layer on each piece before assembly, as sometimes the glue cannot squeeze out to make a close fit. Just one possibility.

A glue brush helps spread glue for a thin layer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

I have read that a little bit of fine sand placed in the glue will keep the joints from slipping while clamping. I have not tried this method myself so try it at your own risk.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Doug_D

I have never seen a joint move after being screwed in place, but many times while putting the screw in.  This will happen sometimes even if I pre-drill the hole on something hard like white oak.  It is very frustrating.

To combat this I either use a biscuit if I am feeling fancy or if I just want to get it done, I use the kreg face clamp metalspinner suggested.

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

beenthere

There is also the trick of counterboring the pre-drill hole between the two mating pieces. Often there is a rise in the grain of the wood where the bit comes through, and removing that helps the mating of the two pieces. Saw that trick in a woodworkers mag a few times.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fbelknap

Use a small brad and cut it off about 1/8" or so and it will keep the joint from moving.  Might have to use more than one.

Fred

5quarter

Hi D,

Any time you have slippage it is from too much glue. Thin coats as metalspinner suggests...Though I can't think off the top of my head any joint that I would both glue AND screw. one or the other depending on the joinery, but not both. I'd be interested in knowing what is was that you were joining? Oh and BTW...get the vise clamps. Once you have them, you will never want to be without them. Oh and don't use sand in your glue...you want 100% surface contact when gluing up. even fine debris in the glue can weaken the joint...just my two scents.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Sometimes you screw rails underneath to counteract warp in drying. I've seen tops warp overnight while curing glue. I see a lot of manufactured furniture with rails screwed in, some of it is incorporated in say a leaf table. Serves two purposes but one purpose probably isn't thought of while they place that leaf in on the rail slides and match up the pin holes. As well the side rails that hold your table legs accomplish this and the laymen never gives it a thought. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!