iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spar varnish

Started by Woodwalker, December 01, 2010, 08:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodwalker

Anybody ever spray any with a paint gun? I've got a good size project that would sure be a lot faster to spray than brush.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Bandmill Bandit

I have sprayed it a few of times. I thinned it down a fair bit. i would say about 40% ish. The higher the drying temp the thinner I you can go. more thinner coats works best i find. I sprayed my cedar strip canoe with spar vanish. Striped to base and re sprayed 8 coats 3 times in 21 years and have a done a couple of other smaller projects too. I use a top tank hand gun. i just like the feed control better and also like the spray pattern better.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Woodwalker

I've sprayed urethane several times with good results, so was going to give it a try in a day or so. The tip on the number of coats and thinning going to help.
Thanks
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Bill Gaiche

I spray with a top mounted gun also. Or HVLP gun. Once in a while I try the brush thing and revert back to the gun. Its the fastest and best finish you can get imo. Sprayed sanding sealer on a erc cedar chest this evening. Will spray a couple coats of spar var on tomorrow. bg

ljmathias

Neat- I need to try this; hand brushed a bunch of cedar for the last two projects and that worked good but labor intensive.  What size spray gun do you use?  Is the one being offered by Highland Woodworking any good? Oh, and if you've used PU spar varnish, what did you thin with?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas all.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

blaze83

good thread guys!

i'm trying to set up a spray room for my shop, i just bought my compressor and am getting ready to buy my pipe, pipe fitting, presure regulator etc..... my question is this, do you have a dehumidifier or dryer plumbed into you air line? if so, what brand is good?  any advice on pressure regulators? the compressor is an 80 gallon ingersal-rand with the 5 horse motor.

thanks

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Bill Gaiche

Spraying works best for me. I just finished two cedar chest. Sprayed on sanding sealer first. Minn Wax Poly next two or three coats. Very important that every coat that you put on has dried real well before sanding. Take your time, dont hurry thru the steps. trust me I know because I have had to redo some that I got into a big hurry, not fun. I bought a top mounted cup HVLP gun at Lowes, wasnt pleased with it, about $30. Checked out there best one for about $70. and bought it. It works real good. Has more holes in spray nozzel to break up paint. Be sure that it is clean before each use and strain your paint so that you dont get those little specks in the finish.There are lot of different models out there so I would say check them out and spend the extra $ on a good one. I painted my bandsaw mill 2 brushhogs with mine also. bg

ljmathias

Here's some pictures of a cedar swing I just finished with polyurethane spar varnish- a bit shiny but I love the way the colors are preserved, not fading with sunlight like uncoated cedar.

And here's a close up of some of the "defective" wood used in the slats- doesn't seem to make them too weak to use as long as there's good support under or behind...

And here's how I did the chains through the arms- I'm not at all happy with this but I do think having the chains bolted to the bottom of the support frame is important for a soft wood like cedar- hate to have a bolt and chain rip out from a top support. :o  Any suggestions on other ways of fixing the chains on a swing?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

caveman

I've used several different spray guns for paint and a good friend of mine sprays polyurethane with his but thins with mineral spirits and lightly sands between coats.  My favorite gun is also my cheapest.  It is the $9 -$14 Harbor Freight gun.  I turn up the air pressure to 80-90 psi, which is above what is recommended but it sprays well and if I blow out an o-ring I buy another.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!