iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk "Ivories"

Started by Magicman, December 24, 2013, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Elk have canine teeth that are often referred to as ivories or buglers and are often made into pendants, ring sets, ladies ear rings, etc.

Since I got a nice bull last year with Marty as my "guide" and he got a bull this year with me as his "guide", I thought it appropriate that we have matching pendants made from one of our ivories.  Matt Gray in Herriman, Ut. did the outstanding casting.  The two Sterling Silver Pendants arrived today.

Mine on the left and Marty's on the right.  We will proudly wear them in memory of some good times that we have spent on a mountain together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never seen anything like this.....I mean we don't have Elk.
This is just too cool Magic. I likes it!!!!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hardtailjohn

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

terry f

MrPete

Nice work and very original!  My daughter got a bear a couple years ago.  We had a pendant for her from a canine.  It's one of her favorite pieces.

clww

Talk about perfect timing. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

never seen any thing like it they are just beautiful

Magicman

Here are my ivories.  As an elk ages the ivories are worn down by chewing which reveals the rings.  I used the one on the right for my pendant. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

For 7 years, I guided hunters here in Montana.  In the 1980's elk ivories were not as popular.  I had whiskey box that I kept my keepsakes in.  It had around 30 elk ivories, a couple of belt buckles I won, a pocket watch my grandmother gave to me for a high school graduation present and a few photos of some girls ;D and other "stuff".  Somebody swiped that box.  More than 30 years later, I am still really mad!  I would love to have it back.

Beautiful stuff there Magicman!

CX3

My good hunting partner and friend has 18 pairs of wolf teeth in his collection.  Most impressive if you ask me.  All but 2 are bowkills and all are taken on public land in colorado. 

Nice job MM
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

thecfarm

I have never heard of that being done.  :)  But sounds a good way to remember a mighty fine hunt and time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Magicman, those are some nice ivories. And those are some nice pendants too ;)

With the Bull I shot in New Mexico this year I'm going to have one of the ivories made into an engagement ring for my girl friend ;D

beenthere

Quoteivories made into an engagement ring for my girl friend

Are you thinking she will be thrilled? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

She will be with the right design.  Elk Ivory Jewelry

Tom L

those are very nice, I never knew they did that.

rooster 58

Actually, Marlene chose her ring. I had shown her some jewelry before going on the hunt, and she ran with it. In fact, she told me I better not come home without the ivories ;D

She had selected a ring from a jewelr in Colorado, but then saw a similar but nicer ring from a different jeweler, also from Colorado. It has a nicer price also, if you know what I mean :-\

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on December 26, 2013, 11:15:37 AM
She will be with the right design.  Elk Ivory Jewelry

The one I liked the best is the ring with the shell casing and ivory together - tells a story.  Cool stuff.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Rancher

Quite a few elk get hit on the highway here and you can bet the ivories are gone before it is hauled off the road.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Thank You Sponsors!