iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

iron mule??

Started by twobears, December 04, 2007, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

could somebody post a good picture of the center section on a iron mule?? i,ve never seen a iron mule in person and to me they look intresting... i,am curious as to how thats all put together.

delbert

twobears

i found what i was looking for..center pivot and center articulation.

delbert

Ron Scott

I have a lot of iron mule photos, but none that showed the center articulation in close up as you probably wanted to see it. I was waiting to get back on the job where an iron mule is working to get you such a photo, but glad that you found what you wanted to know.

Corley 5 has an iron mule and I also thought that he might shoot you a photo quicker than me.
~Ron

Corley5

I've been going to get a couple pics of it for you when I use it next.  It's parked in the barn and it's a bit dark in there for photos  :)  We've been busy with firewood and haven't been to the woods.  We just came in from putting the tire chains on it and will probably have it out tomorrow.  I hope anyway.  I need to sell some sawtimber ;) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

twobears

thanks for the replys.RON:i found your pics and looked them over.i also did a web search and found a few pic,s.
i did notice one thing as i searched. the iron mule seems to be made from several dirrent makes of tractors..i,ve seen where there made from massy model 50 tractors,ford tractor and/or parts and i saw on yesterdays tractors where one guy guy had a allis chalmers made mule...or so he said anyhow. they sure look like they would be a handy thing to have around.
wheres the valves for the loader?? i know there inside the cab i,am just wondering if there beside the driver or behind the seat?? in one pic it looked like the valves where beside the seat on the right.
CORLEY:if you could get me a good close pic of that center section i,de owe ya one..and how about a pic of the whole mule with somebody standing next to it for scale?? some of them look like there kinda small in the pic,s i,ve seen but,only one has a man standing next to it...thanks

delbert

twobears

CORLEY:i just noticed you have a link to your pic,s.i took a look and see you have a bunch of pic,s of your mule.i still could use a good closeup pic of that center section tho...thanks..delbert

Gary_C

I have a much newer version of that iron mule and even though I do not have a picture of the center section, I took a picture of the knuckle in the parts book on my 840 Valmet that show how it is put together, if that is what you were looking for.

That knuckle is mounted in the rear section with the left center vertical holes for the pivot pins. The drive shaft goes thru the center of that knuckle with the universal joint directly between the pivot pins. The holes on the side wings are for the steering cylinders and the hole on the right is one of the two holes for the pins on the vertical stabilization cylinders.

The other parts on the right are the roller bearings and races plus the take up nut. That drawing does not properly show the size of that piece as it is very large to handle the stress. Plus it is a high maintenance item and needs to be be tightened regularly or you will pay big dollars.

Here is a picture of my 840 with my one ton pickup beside it for comparison.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

twobears

GARY:thanks for the info and pic,s.

Thank You Sponsors!