iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

City of Gold

Started by fuzzybear, October 10, 2012, 11:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I re-found this on you tube.  It is a 1950's movie by Pierre Berton, about the town I live in, Dawson City Yukon. Things have changed from the 1950's in the town, but thankfully not the life style. The old men still sit on Front St. drinking coffee and talk about the good old days.
  I hope you enjoy
FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGxHHAX1nOY
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

florida

Great video, thanks! Dawson is on my bucket list. How many people live there now?
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

SwampDonkey

Also a lot of gold mining history all over BC. I have a few tapes done by a BC television station in the 90's with an historian telling tales (with a lot of research) along with old photos. Interesting times.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

Quote from: florida on October 10, 2012, 06:53:50 PM
Great video, thanks! Dawson is on my bucket list. How many people live there now?
Full time about 1500.  Miners and seasonal workers add about 4000 to the list of people living here. In the summer there are about 2000-3000 people a day thru here.
FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I really loved that short movie. Those were some tough times.....unless you had the gold.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Pierre Burton was from your little town if I'm not mistaken. He also wrote a lot on the rail roads.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 11, 2012, 02:18:44 AM
Pierre Burton was from your little town if I'm not mistaken. He also wrote a lot on the rail roads.
Yes he was. The house where he grew up is still here in town. Although it has been moved at least 3 times. He played a big part in getting the trains from the video restored, and displayed in the Dawson museum.  Only 3 of the old boats are still here, most were lost every spring during breakup of the Yukon River.
  The ball field the kids were playing in is still there.  The one thing they don't mention in the movie was how because of the gold dredges, Dawson was the first totally electrified city in the world. Meaning that every home and business had access to electricity.
FB

Bill Gaiche

Great video. Do think our grandkids will believe that these things ever happened? bg

Magicman

I finally found time to watch your movie FB.  Thanks to you for a glimpse of a time gone by.  And one that I could have never imagined touched so many lives.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!