iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing "big" short logs

Started by kelLOGg, July 27, 2018, 07:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have sawn lots of small short logs that can be leveled with reasonable manual effort but now I
have a 31" diam log 6.5' that won't reach the leveling jacks so I have to place jacking points on thick sawdust under the log on which to place a jack. I will be RRQSing this log so I will be jacking and rotating a lot to octagonalize the log. Sort of a drag. What do you do in a similar situation?
Bob

" 

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

low_48

Cribbing and a rolling high lift automotive floor jack.

dgdrls

Can you move the log down the bed to one of the jacks??

D

btulloh

I'd weld on a couple back stop pockets on the other side to turn against.
HM126

CCCLLC

Bibbying lightly, manual backstops, may have to turn only 5-10 degrees at a time. Lots of turning and first Bibby cuts will be short. Gradually the pith will come in line with bed.

kelLOGg

Quote from: dgdrls on July 28, 2018, 07:35:03 AM
Can you move the log down the bed to one of the jacks??

D
I could but the cable on my winch turner would be waaay off center and not turn the log.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

kelLOGg

Quote from: btulloh on July 28, 2018, 08:17:30 AM
I'd weld on a couple back stop pockets on the other side to turn against.
I think I see what you mean. The current squaring arms are on the inside of the main rail. Currently I slip square tubes over them to make them higher but I have to roll the log to make room for them.  You're saying weld a pocket on the opposite side of the rail to hold a stop to allow for oversize logs. That's great idea but the track [c-channel] for the head drive chain in in the way. I may be able to get around it. Thanks.

kelLOGg

Your replies have got me thinking about overcoming my lack of jacking points for short logs. currently I have welded-in shelves about 7.5' apart. It would be very easy to weld up drop-in shelves that could be placed where needed. They would rest on the main rails and have a suitable depth to accommodate a jack. hmmmm - a short project is coming up before I saw shorty.
Bob

D6c

RRQ sawed a burr oak the other day that was just about too big for the mill.  Used the loader tractor to turn it with a chain parbuckled around the log.   That allowed me to to turn it either direction depending on which way I hooked the chain.  Made me wish for a mill with double hydraulic chain turner's.

btulloh

Quote from: kelLOGg on July 28, 2018, 01:04:43 PMYou're saying weld a pocket on the opposite side of the rail to hold a stop to allow for oversize logs. That's great idea but the track [c-channel] for the head drive chain in in the way. I may be able to get around it. Thanks.

I wasn't very clear.  I was saying put them on the opposite rail to use if you want to turn the log the opposite way.  Maybe that's not even the question you were asking :).  My little mill is spec'd to handle 26" logs, and it takes a while to figure out how that works 'cause it's a little different than say a 22"' log.  I have to lower the backstops below the center line so the log actually extends past the backstops a little.  That's just for normal turning, but when the backstops are this low I have to raise the backstops again past the center line to turn it so the log doesn't climb up the backstops.  Then probably lower them for the second cut.  It takes a lot of doing on a little mill.  That's just for normal sawing to get to a cant.  RRQS, which I haven't tried yet, is whole nother degree of aggravation.

One thing is for sure either way:  Short logs are annoying and short BIG logs are even more annoying.
HM126

kelLOGg

I gotcha now. Still a good idea that would be hard for me to implement because of the channel for the drive chain being in the way.

I rigged my loader/turner so it can turn either direction. I don't turn the "wrong" way very far - only enough to get the log off the sq arms so I can slip a tube over them to make them higher for oversized logs - even then I put a loose chain around the log just in case I overdo it. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!