iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit With Southside Today

Started by SawyerTed, February 16, 2020, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

Today I had the opportunity to visit with Jim aka @Southside  and @Wudman We started the day at Jim's planing and molding shed. Those Woodmaster machines are sweet!  Then be looked at the Nyle kiln before sawing a few red oak logs. Not being one to just watch others work, I help offbear slabs and edgings but probably was in the way as much as anything.

A few things I learned today:

Material handling around a mill is challenging for everyone.
A telehandler is an awesome machine
I got confirmation that my sawing technique is getting there.
Logs in Virginia look like logs in NC
A kiln and a planer/molder expands business opportunities
I need a bigger building
I'm not the only one with a dozen projects going on at one time
Chickens really are a thing with FF members

Many thanks to Southside and Wudman for the hospitality today!  Left to right:  Southside, SawyerTed, Wudman

I
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

Sounds like a great meet up.
Would like to meet you all sometime.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Southside responds to another name, too :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

It was great having Ted today and he was definitely a lot of help.  Plus I only made two giant oak wedges the whole day.  8)  I could claim just one, but after you left there was a second one and Wudman was still there so no getting around it!!  Of course three sawyers looking at the mill and nobody noticed the first one.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

I am sure it was a great day.  Sounds like fun and fellowship were had.  

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SawyerTed

Jim, as Sgt. Shultz regularly said on Hogan's Heroes, "I saw nothing!"

Chalk it up to the audience factor!  I never make mistakes when no one is watching!  :o :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

Southside has it going on, I'm sure it was a productive visit.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GAB

Quote from: SawyerTed on February 16, 2020, 08:41:47 PM
I never make mistakes when no one is watching!  :o :D
And when playing golf your pencil is your best wood.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Wudman

Ted,

It was really nice to meet you.  I enjoyed the conversation and fellowship.  I'd be happy to have you back at any time.  Thanks for the help as well.  One word of advice.......check your pickup for any stowaways.  It may be time for some fricassee. :D

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!