iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bye-bye to the old JD 440

Started by Kodiakmac, April 15, 2021, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodiakmac

After 16 years it was time to get rid of the old girl.  And although I had wonderful tips and advice from fellow F Forum members, parts were getting very hard to source, and the down-times were increasing accordingly.  So I traded it in at the local Kioti dealership for an RX7320 with a cab, loader, and a Wallenstein FX110 skidding winch.

One of the first things I had to do was to widen the trails in the curves - the tractor doesn't bend much in the middle :).  I have been quite impressed with the skidding winch.  It has been yanking out some good size hardwoods without a hitch and it is easy to operate.  I can't get into the places I could with the skidder, but it's pretty nice to have the loader and heated cab.   ;D  

The photos were taken in February and early March - our snow has been gone for a few weeks now.

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

I suspect it's easier on your ears too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Looks like a good size tractor.
HP?
I would not want to get out of the cab!!!
My winch never comes off the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kodiakmac

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2021, 01:04:48 PM
Looks like a good size tractor.
HP?
I would not want to get out of the cab!!!
My winch never comes off the tractor.
73 hp.  I put a 4-239 in the skidder about 6 or 7 years ago - it was putting out about 78 hp.  So not a lot of difference.  LOT more torque in the skidder though.  
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Southside on April 15, 2021, 11:31:16 AM
I suspect it's easier on your ears too.
Indeed.  Less ringing, and less frostbite. :D

tamarackman

Quote from: Kodiakmac on April 15, 2021, 01:15:47 PMIndeed.  Less ringing, and less frostbite. :D
I realize that production isn't everything but I'm interested in how productive you are at forwarding with the new tractor vs the skidder.  I often time see used skidders for sale in my area and I wonder just how much faster I could move wood compared to my forestry winch equipped 45hp tractor.
Although just like you, I think I would miss the heated cab.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: SPDM on April 15, 2021, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: Kodiakmac on April 15, 2021, 01:15:47 PMIndeed.  Less ringing, and less frostbite. :D
I realize that production isn't everything but I'm interested in how productive you are at forwarding with the new tractor vs the skidder...I wonder just how much faster I could move wood compared to my forestry winch equipped 45hp tractor.

I haven't sat down and figured out volumes, but there is no question that the skidder is the hands down champion when it comes down to hauling out the timber.  However, from a versatility perspective, the tractor wins.  You can skid with a tractor, but you can't tractor with a skidder. :D

thecfarm

I myself doubt that a tractor would hold up to every day skidding like a skidder twitching out the same amount. That tractor weight is much lighter than that skidder he just sent down the road.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Walnut Beast

Congratulations on the new toy. Skidding in style and comfort 👍

Kodiakmac

Quote from: thecfarm on April 15, 2021, 09:56:17 PM
I myself doubt that a tractor would hold up to every day skidding like a skidder twitching out the same amount. That tractor weight is much lighter than that skidder he just sent down the road.  ;)
You're absolutely right.  The 440 was almost twice the weight of the tractor with 16 ply tires instead of 8 ply.  However, the skidder was 50 years old and repairs were becoming very frequent, very expensive, and with lots of down time while trying to find or jury-rig parts. 

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 15, 2021, 10:03:07 PM
Congratulations on the new toy. Skidding in style and comfort 👍
Thanks WB! :)  you're certainly right about the comfort.

ohiowoodchuck

What did you have trouble finding. I've never had trouble finding parts for mine. I've bought parts from members on here, Schaffer's. Then there's a place in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have bought a lot from John Deere ag also. 3020's and couple more older ones have a lot of the same parts. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

Brandon1986

Quote from: Kodiakmac on April 15, 2021, 08:24:40 PM
Quote from: SPDM on April 15, 2021, 05:28:00 PM
I realize that production isn't everything but I'm interested in how productive you are at forwarding with the new tractor vs the skidder...I wonder just how much faster I could move wood compared to my forestry winch equipped 45hp tractor.

I haven't sat down and figured out volumes, but there is no question that the skidder is the hands down champion when it comes down to hauling out the timber.  However, from a versatility perspective, the tractor wins.  You can skid with a tractor, but you can't tractor with a skidder. :D
Are you sure about that? We're setting up to pull a big disk harrow with our old Clark 668C.. Figure it will work fantastically for chewing up potato fields! :D :D

Kodiakmac

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on April 18, 2021, 07:29:58 AM
What did you have trouble finding. I've never had trouble finding parts for mine. I've bought parts from members on here, Schaffer's. Then there's a place in West Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have bought a lot from John Deere ag also. 3020's and couple more older ones have a lot of the same parts.
It is a LOT easier to source parts in the US of A than it is up here in Canuckistan.  But I've read enough posts here to know that practically everyone with a 50-plus year-old skidder has had to do some real digging/waiting to come up with parts at some point in time.   And that was becoming the norm with my old buggy.  My latest problem - finding a winch hydraulic pump - was aggravated by Border closures.  I did have some great help from fellows on this Forum, but it was a long, tedious, and expensive process.

Thank You Sponsors!