iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

I don't know Barge. Under 30 is some scary these days. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

Had to break the chainsaw out. And the 20 inch bar was almost a mistake😂

nativewolf

Nice stick of WP Joe.  Are you cutting for a mill or is this your wood?  Wondering how you are doing price wise on the WP.  We've been asked to look at a property that has some WP on it and some of it is sizable.  I'm out of touch with the WP market (if I was ever in touch), we have size limitation issues on the two mills that I know of that buy.  This puts the best clear butt logs into a pile for a shavings plant which is just criminal.  

I'm willing to ship up to PA so maybe I can find someone there that's a buyer for large clear WP.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

Good wp goes for log homes   that's pays double or more than sawlogs

Southside

Does Robbins Lumber still run a mill in Mass?
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

They do, it's in Hardwick. Never sold anything to them but bought plenty. Excellent people to deal with 

barbender

Our conventional crew is cutting nice tree length red pine right now, going right up to the PCA mill in International Falls and straight into the chipper for printer paper. Also criminal🤦🏻‍♂️😬 They need it bad and they're paying more than we would get if we sorted logs out of it🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

newoodguy78

Just need to clarify read that to fast Robinson lumber is in Hardwick. They are a pine and hemlock mill. Not sure of Robbins...

Southside

And I typed it too fast - that was the mill I was thinking of.  Same company with several mills in Maine.  They bring pine in from as far away as Ohio.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: nativewolf on October 18, 2021, 09:14:28 PM
Nice stick of WP Joe.  Are you cutting for a mill or is this your wood?  Wondering how you are doing price wise on the WP.  We've been asked to look at a property that has some WP on it and some of it is sizable.  I'm out of touch with the WP market (if I was ever in touch), we have size limitation issues on the two mills that I know of that buy.  This puts the best clear butt logs into a pile for a shavings plant which is just criminal.  

I'm willing to ship up to PA so maybe I can find someone there that's a buyer for large clear WP.  
Mill wood. I don't know the price on it but I do know they aren't sawing it. They sold it to another mill. I'd like to buy my own I just don't know if it's worth all the extra headaches. I know there's more money to be made. 

Firewoodjoe

And I'm happy with the price I get but it's either bad wood or bad ground 75% of the time. So production is lost which is how I make money. 🤷‍♂️

snowstorm

Quote from: Southside on October 18, 2021, 09:47:08 PM
Never heard this one before. And I know the owners. They bought another mill this summer in Baldwin. The distribution yard in Halifax ns has been going for several years

mike_belben

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on October 19, 2021, 05:07:32 AMThey sold it to another mill. I'd like to buy my own I just don't know if it's worth all the extra headaches. I know there's more money to be made.
If youve got machine payments and insurance payments then there is always the possibility whoever youre contracted to could shut you off somehow in the future and cause you a sudden dilema.. Maybe they sell or get shut down by a govt entity somehow, covid, tax fraud whatever.  

It would be wise for you to have diversified enough that a sudden change doesnt hurt you too bad that you cant switch gears pretty smoothly into buying stumpage and marketing your own finished timber precisely how the best buyers want it.

Work the phones, find out the rates you can get for species and grades, find out transport situations and then see if you cant buy some stumpage that fits the best opportunity you are able to indentify.  Offer low and see what happens. If its not for you then no big deal but at least you got a little more fluent at the process and maybe make some connections.

I keep my notebooks with all the details and often find the info is a huge help long after i forget.  Helps me know who to ask for next time, and identify trends in pricing.
Praise The Lord

ehp

Froze hard here this morning for the first time this fall  being close to the lake does help this problem .  Just piling last logs then push trails and move to next lovely job which is clean up after that small tornado went threw . Most stuff just blew over in this blow sand 

cutterboy

Quote from: Southside on October 18, 2021, 09:47:08 PM
I think Robbins and Robinson are different mills. I don't know about Robbins but Robinson's mill is four miles from my house. He (Robinson) is an independent mill as far as I know and saws mostly white pine. He does sell some of his lumber retail which is nice for local people.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

MrRastos

LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

Plankton

The time of year when good lights become very important.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Yup.... getting to be that time of yr again.

Be slashing under the lights tomorrow. 🤷‍♂️

Making mud, but I just don't care. Jobs getting done, I swear I saw snowflakes the other night, truck said 37 and it was cold.

🤦‍♂️😆....  

Southside

Barge, been seeing snowflakes around here all year long for a few years now. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

MrRastos

LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on October 20, 2021, 12:19:16 AM
oh .. i thought you gave up on interviewing??
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on October 20, 2021, 11:09:56 AM
Quote from: Southside on October 20, 2021, 12:19:16 AM
oh .. i thought you gave up on interviewing??
Thay are EVERYWHERE!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!