iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction, "first" post

Started by w_w_w_31, October 09, 2020, 12:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w_w_w_31

Hi all, I've been a lurker for a while now, and finally got around to signing up.  Been working with wood all my life, but have learned volumes from just reading through the forums here.  Some pretty amazing people around here, and their willingness to share their knowledge is priceless.  Thank you to everyone!!

My long term goal is to build our own log cabin, but we first need to find a piece of land to do so.  I am wanting to do a dovetail cabin from logs I mill on site, but that is all going to be dependent on the land we end up being able to find.

The information available here about drying, sawing, building, storing, bug prevention.....  It is all amazing, and I am trying to take it all in, but am certain that I am going to make a bunch of mistakes along the way.  Hey, it's life, I'm ok learning from some mistakes.

Thank you again to all.

dave
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency

Texas Ranger

welcom, pull up a stump and sit a spell
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

samandothers

Several threads on log cabin builds.  A little searching on the forum may uncover some nuggets!
Welcome and happy hunting for your property.

DbltreeBelgians

Welcome to the forum Dave. Where about are you on the western slope? I used to live in Grand Jct. Was just out there at the end of September visiting my sister in Jct. Did a nice run on the Uncompahgre Divide Road from Rt141 all the way south of Montrose and saw a lot of land for sale up there. Saw some on the way up Lands End Road on Grand Mesa also.
Parents had a place at Arrowhead Ranch near Blue Mesa Reservoir until health drove them off the mountain. Miss it but always have a great place to go on vacation.
Anyhow good luck on finding your own piece of heaven and enjoy building your home.

Brent

w_w_w_31

Quote from: DbltreeBelgians on October 14, 2020, 10:39:38 PM
Where about are you on the western slope?
We are in Grand Junction, Orchard Mesa.  I lived in Telluride for about 15 years before moving to GJ about 10 years ago.  Originally from Northern Minnesota.

The Divide Road is a nice area, but I haven't spent enough time up there yet.  Kebler Pass, Ohio City, and Paonia are all good areas.  We want to keep the land within 2-2.5 hours of our current house, so that area is a definite possibility.

Arrowhead is an interesting area, and really will not work for the style of building we want to do.  I've been out there a few times, and do like the idea of it, but I don't believe the reality of the HOA will allow us enough flexibility to do our own thing.  Besides, we really don't want to be able to see our neighbors.

Thank you for your input!!

dave
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency

DbltreeBelgians

I completely understand what you're saying about the Arrowhead HOA.
Back in the late 70's and the 80's it was a great place. Now it's a bit out of my league so to speak. I'm sure you get my drift. I definitely wouldn't live there nowadays.
There were few homes back then and most everyone got along well and did their own thing. The last time I was there I couldn't believe how much it had grown. Very restrictive from what I understand.
Next time I'm in "Jct" visiting my sister I'll have to look you up. She lives off 29 Rd between Patterson and F-1/2 out by the desert.
Good luck on finding your little piece of heaven and building your cabin.

Brent 

Thank You Sponsors!