iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hello....Insurance?

Started by matt eddy, January 12, 2008, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt eddy

hi everyone i just joined up to the forestry forum.  I am a current timberframer here in the great state of Maine.  I am always up for new information.  the information i am currently trying to find is on insurance.  I am currently self employed and travel throughout the country from shop to shop.  I need a general liability insurance policy that will cover more than just maine,NH, and VT.  dose anyone no who i can or should contact for help in this?  Timberframeing isn't a term insurance companys understand or seem to want to.  Anybody that can help it would appreciated!  you can email me directly at eddymatt84@yahoo.com.  thanks alot
matt

maineframer

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Forum!
David

thecfarm

matt eddy,welcome to the forum.I hope you find something.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Hi Matt

Is the problem that you are too specific when you are asking about insurance? If Timber Framer isn't on the agents list then they have no 'box' to put you in and calculate a rate.

If you state you are a building contractor or subcontractor - who just builds houses, barns, sheds etc and dont get any more specific about the exact style of said building it may be a lot easier to get insured. OK, so 99% of your building is timber frames, but the style of building (within reason) shouldn't change the insurance rates?

As long as what you tell the Ins company is true you should be OK, even if you word things slightly differently.

Just make sure you dont answer any questions falsely, that gives them an out if you do need to claim  :(

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

Are the insurance companies differentiating between timber framing and general carpentry/construction? I just cancelled all of my insurances due to a very clueless agent, could never answer any of my question. ??? ::) >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

Welcome Matt  :)
We travelled for about a dozen years in about as many states building log homes. I think I remember being dropped by 3 companies. Most don't like to work out of their area or with anything out of the ordinary. Ended up with State Farm from our local agent who handles our other stuff too. Never had a claim so can't help there. I usually tried to comply but did work unlicensed at times, haven't got a clue if they would use that to leave you hanging but I've got my suspicions. We also used the word subcontractor throughout the contract and I let the GC or homeowner handle all subs and materials, keeping them out of my liability, none of their money went through me.

matt eddy

thanks for info found it helpful!

Thank You Sponsors!