iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Cherry Tree worth anything other than firewood?

Started by Leigh Family Farm, December 08, 2012, 05:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thanks TWelsh for the offer of cutting it up. I talked to my friend and its gonna be firewood. I know you southerners would hate to see that but the costs and labor are too high to come close to breaking even. We probably won't get to cutting it up for a couple of weeks but I will post some pictures when we do.

I can't insert the quote from earlier (its on the first page), but I don't have the ability to deliver.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Kingcha

kilgrosh you might want to see if anyone near you has a wood fired brick oven.......Cherry is a great wood because it make nice coals that last.   Just need to cut it 14-16 inches and split it small.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

NWP

Quote from: T Welsh on December 09, 2012, 08:20:59 AM
But to tell you the truth,after the economy tanked 5years ago so did the log market that quality of log might bring 0.25 to 0.30 a BF at best.

I've sold a few cherry logs in the last couple of years mainly to finish out a semi load of walnut.  You guys would be shocked at some of the cherry I've cut into firewood.  At the low log prices, it is worth a lot more to me in firewood than selling the log.  If it's between .40-.50 per foot in the log, I might sell the log.  If it is below .40, it's going through the processor.  If I had a mill and could cut it myself that may be a different story.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Okrafarmer

Cherry logs mainly go for pallet around here. I can buy them for pretty cheap. The big mills are giving about $175/K ($.175/bf) for pallet logs around here, and cherry is pallet to them.  :'(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

NWP

It does make beautiful wood. My kitchen cabinets are cherry.  I don't really know why it doesn't command a higher price.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Okrafarmer

Just because supply out-strips demand.

Well, gents, I am heading off to work, where I plan to mill two 15-16" cherry logs for a customer. They are really nice form, especially for around here.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hackberry jake

A year or so ago a co-worker told me he cut down a nice cherry tree to make room for pasture. He asked me if I wanted it and I said "yeah!". He said he would bring it to work. He brought in a 6' cherry log about 7" diameter. We picked it up and put it in the bed of my truck. It had a hollow spot in the middle. I didn't have the heart to tell him "thanks for the firewood".
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

T Welsh

Any Cherry has value! As long as the price is right! Jake,Up her we call Cherry with a hole in the middle Character and charge extra for it :D. Tim

5quarter

Out here in NE, cherry is non-native and difficult to get, so the price is very high. In upstate NY where I'm from, cherry is cut primarily for firewood as it grows like a weed there. kills me to think of how much cherry I've cut and split over the years.  :'(
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

T Welsh

5quarter, Absence makes the heart grow fonder! I know of a few woods that I wood love to saw. But they do not grow in the north east,so I keep drooling! Someone should start a thread about logs to drool over!!! Its raining this morning and I have to take pictures for an update on my web site,maybe I can find some Walnuts or Cherry logs that will make some of you guys drool ;D. Tim

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

WDH. I cheated and dug some old photos out of the gallery to start the topic Logs to drool over. But I did get a couple of pictures this morning of the Walnuts and Cherry logs.Tim

Thank You Sponsors!