iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How can I tell if it is Chestnut?

Started by simonkenton, May 18, 2004, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonkenton

Years ago someone told me that the old barn at the bottom of the mountain was chestnut.
A year ago the barn collapsed in a flood. Some guys were starting to take it apart and stack the wood, then they stopped after doing 15 per cent of it and they havn't been back in ten months.
There is a chance I can get this wood. How can I tell if it is chestnut? It is all weathered. I have brought a few 1x8s and 2x4s up to the house, I cut it, the sawdust is like nothing I ever smelled, it certainly isn't pine, and it doesn't smell the least like oak.

shopteacher

I would plane one side of the wood. Chestnut has a fairly recognizable color and grain.  Then compare it to a picture from a book or web site picture.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ron Wenrich

Better yet, get a piece and plane it down and post a picture.  Also take an end view shot.  I'm sure there's someone who could ID the wood.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

simonkenton

I took two pieces in to town and showed them to woodworkers.
They both agreed, the one piece was chestnut. The other piece, they weren't sure, it might have been oak or possibly chestnut. It has a slight red coloration.

What is a web site that has pictures of chestnut?

Tom

Here is one with a picture.  Not a good one, but it may help.

Chestnut Link

Brian_Bailey

Here's a link to some pics

http://www.vintagelog.com/chestnut.htm

Do a google search, "chestnut lumber" or "American Chestnut", quite a few sites to look at  :).
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Ron Scott

Here's a piece of "wormy" chestnut from West Virginia used as a wall mount for some shipwreck salvaged tools in my nautical collection. It has been coated with polyturethane for protection.

~Ron

DeepForest

:o :o :o Ive just started working with chestnut,  but ived never seen a red coloration :o :o :o, and if im not wrong, ( im a newbie in the wood business so i could be  easily wrong) U r never gonna find a red coloration in a chestnut, except in a extrange hybrid. ;D ;D
DP

Thank You Sponsors!