iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech

Started by Magicman, June 14, 2016, 07:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, I know that it is a Beech tree, but my question is one of curiosity.

The tree gets larger and the bark stays smooth and never seems to crack or flake off?  How do it do that?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Just the nature of the beast.
Beech is disappearing here slowly due to the bark insect pathogen complex, Beech scale &  Nectria .
they will look pretty good until fair size diameter is reached then typically get a white fuzzy look and then the bark starts falling off in places.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ahlkey

Our old homestead is called Beechborg with many large 20+ Beech trees. From what I understand American Beech remains smooth as the tree grows based on it origin being tropical.  The elastic nature of the bark has adapted to northern climates along with it's light coloration to reflect winter sunlight.

mesquite buckeye

The bark is able to expand without tearing like most trees do. That requires that the bark has to be repaired at a microscopic level as it expands.  Most trees that have smooth bark do it by flaking off the old bark in plates or paper like material. Trees like that: sycamore, eucalyptus, bursera, madrone.

I can't think of another tree that works like beech. I'm sure there is at least one, but I can't think of any at the moment.

Just thought of one: baobob
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I did some "Google" reading.  I found it interesting that Beech grows so slowly that it as able to stretch and fill in as the tree expands.  Initials, etc. that are carved into the bark stretches but stay readable during the tree's growth as long as they were shallow enough not to introduce moisture and disease.

The upper portion of Aspen trees that I have seen in Colorado and Wyoming have readable writings that go back into the very early 1900's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!