iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maintaining chain tension Echo cs600p

Started by petefrom bearswamp, August 04, 2010, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

bought this saw about 3 months ago after reading good reviews on this forum.
As far as cutting performance, it ranks with the much more expensive Husky i had.
The only problem is chain tension.
I can't seem to keep it tight .
(I am making about  100 cuts in about an hr. bucking   firewood)
Any suggestions? 
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Rocky_J

Sharpen the chain better and more often.  8)

JohnG28

Are you using a new chain? I have noticed some chains stretch out some for a while when new.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ladylake

This one is easy, that Echo has so much torque it just stretches the snot out of the chain.  Seriously the above suggestions are good, also make sure it's getting enough oil.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

miking

If you are not already, be sure to lift the bar before tightening it or it'll sag and loosen the chain when cutting. I covet the 600P.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

jteneyck

The above recommendations are all good.  You might also want to try a Stihl chain.  They are the only chains I know of that are pre-stretched, which reduces that tendancy.  I had a 93 link ripping chain from Carlton that stretched over 1/2" in the first hour or so of use.  I've never had that happen with a Stihl chain, and minimal from Oregon. 

JohnG28

I have noticed the same with Stihl chains, they dont seem to stretch much.  They do cost a lot more though, about twice that of a comparable brand.  I think I can deal with a little stretch to save the cash and get same cutting results.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks everyone.
The chains are all very new.
One came with the saw and the other two are Oregon
I'll see what happens when they are older.
I keep 'em very sharp and having been sawing since 1962 know enough to raise the bar to ensure good tension.
Maybe I'll try Stihl chain when these wear out and see.
thanks again
pete
PS the saw is a tiger!!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!