iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

got a line on a timberking b20

Started by mikeb1079, August 30, 2013, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas, there's a decent chance i'll be heading out of town this weekend to go look at an older timberking b20.  from the pics i've been sent it's been sitting outside for a few years, probably at least 3.  to tell the truth i don't really need another project at the moment but if the price is right i'd really like a portable hydraulic mill.  i'd appreciate any/all tips or advice you can give.  thanks in advance....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

ND rancher

If the price is right go for it! I had to work on mine cause it set for long time and still do, but its a challenge to get things working and make improvements to your mill.The hyd are great!If you need help another b20 person is here to answer your questions. As long as engines are good the rest is minor.  Keith 
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

redbeard

There a tough simple mill to keep operating. Hopefully hydraulics and engines are in good working order. Check the wear on jack screws, check all the chains make sure you can get the kinks flexing good. Don't worry about guide rollers, band wheel belts and cord reel they will probably need replaced any way. Make sure drive wheel bearing is tight and spins smooth. If it has set works and it works good that's a big bonus. Don't expect a fast up n down there slow. Cord reel fix is get a industrial or add a remote switch. Good luck hope it works out for you.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

mikeb1079

thanks for the replies fellas, it looks like i'll be checking it out in the morning.  i'm not actually holding out that much hope and here's why:  he's asking around 9k for the mill and it's clearly been sitting outside for at least a few years, but it gets worse:  from talking to him it doesn't sound like the mill will even fire up.  my hunch is that the mill won't start or run but he's holding pretty firm on his asking price which is why the mill is still for sale.  from where i stand there's no way that myself or anyone else is going to shell out that kinda money without being able to at least see the engine fire and some hydraulic functioning.  time will tell.....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Will_Johnson

Hey Mike:

As always lots of good advice to which I can only add emphasis: sitting is worse for a machine -- any machine -- than running.

I'd much rather buy a running, operating machine with a couple of thousand hours on it than one with low hours that has been sitting for several years.

But it sounds like you are on top of this which is great. One way or another I hope you find a TK mill to fit your needs and I look forward to welcoming you to the family!

Best,

Will

Thank You Sponsors!